Member Profile of GFriend: Bio, Fan Facts, History etc.

GFriend ( 여자친구) is a pop girl group from South Korea.
The group consists of six members: Sowon, Yerin, Eunha, Yuju, SinB and Umji.

They were formed in 2015 by Source Music and they released their debut Extended Play on January of the same year.

They have gathered numerous rookie awards since their start and also have a huge fan base.

Profile of GFriend Debut and Success

As stated above the group released their debut Extended Play which included five new tracks on January 15, 2015.

The album was called "Season of Glass", and was an instant success.
The promotions for the album started immediately, the day after its release.

"Glass Bead", an original song from the album, reached number nine in the top ten of "Most Viewed K-Pop Music Videos Around the World" in January.

Currently, the video has more than 13 million views.
Since then, GFriend have released two more albums, called "Flower Bud" (July, 2015) and "Snowflake" (January, 2016).

DEBUT AND SUCCESS IN JAPAN AND OTHER COUNTRIES

Even though the group is relatively new, that does not mean that it is not famous and successful outside the borders of South Korea.

In fact, they are an Internet Sensation and have attracted many fans via YouTube and other social platforms as well.

In 2015, Billboard named GFriend as one of the top 5 K-Pop Artist to watch in that year.

Almost every music video on the group's YT channel has more than 5 million views and viewers from all over the world.

On September, 2015, the group wrote history, as the only girl group to be nominated in MTV Europe Music Awards (2015) in "Best Korean Act" Category.

Their second album was a success as well; ranked at number 9 on Billboard's' World Album Charts.

2016 Updates

A lot has happened for Gfriend this year. First, they released their third official album called "Snowflake". This boosted their popularity. Also, they have finally decided what to call their fandom, which is "Buddy".

Their album "Snowflake" boosted its way up the Billboard Charts to the 10th rank in the World Albums category. In addition to this, the music video for their song track "Rough" was also in the top 10 in Youtube Kpop category.

In February 2016, Gfriend finally won a music show award. They truly deserved it because of their hard work and obvious dedication to their group. After this, then also won other 14 awards from different shows and categories. This shows that hard work really pays off.

In June 2016, Gfriend started promoting their newest album LOL, releasing bits of teasers here and there. LOL has actually 2 meanings, which are "Laugh Out Loud" and "Lots Of Love".

This album was released on the 11th of July, including the title track "Navillera". 60,000 copies were reserved for this album before the actual sales.

Gfriend's Athletic Skills Shown in 2016 Idol Star Athletic Championships

In a sports competition where idols participate, Gfriend showed the world their terrific skills.

This competition includes different kinds of sports. Gfriend scored big in various categories, leading them on top of the rankings and awing diehard fans.

Gfriend Member Umji Gets A Leg Injury

In October 2016, Umji decided to take a break and not join Gfriend on their activities due to her leg injury.

Source Music, their agency stated "Umji will momentarily go on hiatus from group activities due to healthy reasons."

Umji was said to be experiencing severe leg pains. She went to the hospital to get her leg checked, and it turns out that she has a huge muscle strain around her leg.

The agency then confirmed that they will of course take care of Umji first before making her go on activities with the group.

For now on, Gfriend will do their activities with just 5 members, and when Umji's leg is healed, she will return immediately.