Chapter 4 | Little Red Sears Tower

AN// Song: Wish You Were Here by CS :) //

While he was stretching, his shirt had flown up slightly and five, deep, vicious scars had become visible at the base of his back. They were shaped in the form of a hand, as if five claws had been forcibly burned into his skin, all together, all at once. The scars started at the base of his back but seemed to stretch on, upward beneath his shirt. They looked painful, violent, agonizing and reminded me of whip marks - deep, excruciating whip marks.

Claws.

I shook my head, shuddering. I needed to stop relating everything with what my grandmother had told me. Those could have just been candlesticks for all I knew - I was just being paranoid.

To lighten up my mood, I pulled out a small, miniature basket from my bag, checked to make sure a small note was placed inside of it, and hid it beneath one of the pillows on the ground. Sighing to myself, I made my way to my bed. I needed to clear my head and ease up. I was finally free, for Pete's sake.

Finally free.

A smile appeared across my face automatically and I let out a sigh of happiness. I was finally allowed to make my own choices, all by myself. I was finally able to live a life of independence. I peeped at Hunter from the corner of my eye, truly glad that he had tagged along.

"Don't forget about what I said about you not having children in the future," I whistled to Hunter, climbing atop the mattress. "I meant every word."

"I don't intend to hurt my future kids, Red." I could hear him straining his laughter. "I'll stay on my side as long as you stay on yours. Girls can assault guys too, you know."

"Sure."

A few quiet minutes passed between us. Staring at the ceiling, I thought about my day. Sneaking out of my window with Lily's help, only leaving a note for my grandmother to read, having Lily help me get out of town and to another, spending an entire day enjoying the city streets and marketplace, and then rushing through the rain for shelter for the night.

And then crashing into a gorgeous stranger, who turned out to be an old family friend.

"Hey, Hunt?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did you need a hotel room for the night? Can't you just go and live in your house?"

I heard him let out a sigh of exasperation. "I don't live here, Red. I came here s-" He cut himself off.

"...Hunter?"

"Sorry. But yeah, I don't live here or anywhere near here. We're in Virginia right now. I'm from North Carolina."

"Virginia." I breathed, liking the way it fit the tip of my tongue. "I'd like to go all around the states before I finally go back home. I've heard so many stories of places like Chicago, New York, Miami, Los Angeles. I've heard that the world's largest building is being built in Chicago.."

"It is. The Sears Tower."

"Have you ever been there?"

I could hear the beam in his voice. "Once. I was ten or eleven years old then. The Sears Tower wasn't even about to be built then. All I remember is stealing ice cream in the middle of winter when I was there. The shopkeeper probably saw me but didn't care. No one buys ice cream in the middle of winter, especially in Chicago."

I smiled, trying to imagine Hunter running around busy streets as a pre-teen. "It must have been fun – travelling around the country with your family, always ready to see new places. The last big city I remember going to New York City when I was nine. I don't remember much of it."

There was a small pause before Hunter softly responded. "Do you want to go?"

"To New York?"

"To everywhere. I'm going on a road trip right now. I plan to travel across the country and stop in Seattle. You might as well tag along."

Excitement bubbled up inside me. I was being invited to wander across the country for the next two weeks, to go anywhere I wanted. New York, Miami, Chicago.

"You're here because you're travelling the country?"

"Sure," he nodded. "You can say that if you want."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean? Why are you here, in Virginia?"

"Look, Red." He propped himself up on his elbow, his toned biceps appearing sharper than before. "Do you want to travel the country with me, or not?"

"Yes!" I squealed sarcastically, clasping my hands together. I jumped upright on the bed and looked at him with eager eyes. "Yes, definitely! You can be like my tour guide! We can go across the country, to Maine, Hollywood, everywhere!"

"Now, there," he interrupted, sitting up on his bed. His hair was ruffled and his eyes seemed slightly tired. "If you're going to call me a tour guide, I'm going to feel offended and take back my offer."

"Okay, okay," I put my hands up in defense. "You can be my chauffeur. Drive me aro-"

A pillow smacked my face. "Hey!"

"I am not going to be your chauffeur. I'm not going to be your anything." He glared playfully, then held his hand out. "Now give me back my pillow. I need it to sleep."

I hesitated throwing it back, wanting to play around with him, but then noticed dark circles appearing below his eyes and felt pity.

"Here," I tossed it over. "Now get some sleep. You look tired."

"Thanks."

I watched him settle down into his bed, lying down. Once he had turned off all the lights on his side of the suite and was ready to sleep, I decided to lie down as well.

"Hunter?"

"Yeah?"

"Good night."

I could hear a chuckle. "Good night, Red."

Author's Note

Why do you think Hunter is really in Virginia? Also, please keep in mind that this chapter takes place in 1965 :)

Please vote and/or comment if you think this deserves it! I always appreciate it :)

© MiNsHi