Rookie Actress

You awoke by rays of light creeping around your curtains and onto half your face. Wrinkling your nose and stretching, you sat up in your bed, holding the covers close as it was cold and your night shirt wasn’t enough to keep you warm. One thing entered your mind, was today going to be your day?

Being a rookie actress in Korea you moved to Seoul and was planning on breaking through and becoming world famous, wasn’t ever newbie? But whatever you wanted to do won’t come straight away obviously, so right now you’re not so much looking for your ‘big break’ but rather experience, experience you’ll learn from and use. You’ve been to many auditions already and right now… no luck. You’re waiting on the call or email from the audition you went to latest. It’s a play with a very talented Director.

Your attention was taken and took to the phone lighting up and ringing on your bedside table. You checked the caller ID and felt hesitant to answer as it was unknown but you did anyway, just in case it was the Director from your latest audition.

‘’Hello?’’

‘’Hello, is this ______? I am Jane, you auditioned for me last week?’’

‘’Oh… Yes, hello!’’ You perked up hearing the director’s voice on the other end.

‘’Congratulations, you’ve got the part!’’ Your eyes widened and your lips curled upwards.

‘’Wait, I got the part?’’ You gasp in disbelief, please say you’re not dreaming.

‘’Yes, we did send you an email sweetie’’ You heard her chuckle on the other end. You turn to your clock and mentally hit your head. It was 2pm and they had said they’d send the email between 8-11am. Damn you for sleeping in.

‘’Sorry, I must of slept in’’ She laughed again and told you not to worry about it.

‘’As you obviously didn’t read the email, is it okay if you drop by the theatre tomorrow morning, say…11am?’’

‘’Yes, yes that would be fine… thank you, yes bye!’’ She hung up and you put your phone down.

You grinned and jumped out of bed, not being able to believe you were able to take part in the ‘Modern day Romeo and Juliet’. You had read the script before the audition and fell in love; it was perfect and so well written. The director was also the script writer, she was very talented and you felt blessed to be able to work with such a person.

There will be no old English used and the whole setup will now interest more of the younger generations as well. They may even relate to some of the feelings Juliet will experience due to some twists and edits of the original. The heartbreak, first love, first ki—-oh no, a kiss. You hadn’t even had your first kiss yet. Shaking your head you rid yourself of that thought; this was career you’re talking about.

-

The next day you made your way to the theatre. You wondered who was going to play the Romeo. You dressed in simple black leggings, a white vest top and an army print jacket with some flats on. You dressed comfortable, it wasn’t like there was anyone to impress while you’re rehearsing.

You were greeted by Jane, the rest of the cast and crew as you entered. You all talked and familiarised yourself with each other as you will be spending a lot of time together. You were excited also because although they had said ‘Your’ Romeo was running late, that he was a celebrity.