Ch.6: Lurking in the Shadows

Recap: "So, shall we?" Doctor asked after a while, holding out his hand to help me up.

"Shall we...what?" I asked, taking it.

"I think we should get to know each other better. I saw a restaurant down the street," Doctor said cheerily.

"What about...all that?" I replied, gesturing to the dark tunnels.

"We need to rest! We'll come up with a plan over a quick meal," Doctor said with a wave of his hand.

I stared after him in disbelief.

~oOo~

I hobbled after the Doctor on the sidewalk, the heels on one of my shoes broken off and my dress tattered. We finally stopped at a small restaurant with a rusted sign that read, "Food Place". Likely name.

We simultaneously pulled off our key necklaces and the Doctor held open the door for me. I stepped past him, glancing around the room. Inside was a tiny room with three small tables squeezed together by the windows. A single, rusted lightbulb dangled from the ceiling, casting a dim, flickering light over the room.

"Wow," I said sarcastically, "Nice place.".

"Oi!" Doctor pouted.

A short lady appeared from behind a curtain in the back of the room, waddling over to us.

"Welcome, please sit," she said quickly, practically shoving me towards the tables.

We sat down at a table by the window.

"What do you want?" The lady asked rudely.

Judging by her angry, annoyed expression, she wanted her answer now. I ordered something random and the lady stormed away, slipping back behind the curtain.

"So, why did you really take me here?" I asked.

"I thought that since we're going to be traveling together we should know more about each other," Doctor replied.

"What do you want to know?" I asked.

"Umm...What's your favorite color?" Doctor asked, shrugging.

I chuckled, "That's the best you can do?".

"Colors can tell a lot about a person," Doctor defended himself.

"Fine, it's pale green," I answered, "Now this is a good question. What are you, because I know you're not human?"

"I'm a Timelord, from Gallifrey," Doctor replied. I could tell he was avoiding something.

"So you're just a loner then? Aren't there other 'Timelords' for you to travel with?" I questioned.

Doctor paused, thinking over his answer carefully before clearing his throat and quietly saying, "No."

I decided not to ask what happened to them, it seemed like a touchy subject.

"Where are your parents? And where were they when you were on that roof?" Doctor asked.

I opened my mouth to say something when a glob of what I thought was meat on a plate was thrown down in front of me.

"Eat," the lady growled.