Chapter 6

"Miles, have you seen your brother?" Mae asked, spotting him seated on the sad couch in the parlor.

"No, he wasn't in bed this morning," he replied simply. "I'm waiting for Winnie so I can finish showing her around."

"I'm sure Jesse would do that."

"Oh, right. Why are you looking for him?"

"We need to talk about this whole wedding thing."

"I almost forgot about that. You know, I doubt he knows how lucky he is. To convince her to drink the water. And to marry someone as great as Winnie."

"Don't you go feeling sorry for yourself. It won't get you nowhere."

"Wow Ma, I haven't heard you talk like that in a long while."

"I'll have you know I was quoting my father."

"Sorry."

"Have you asked your father if he's seen them?"

"I haven't seen him today. I think he's already out in the shed."

"Well, I'm going to wake Winnie. She won't want to miss breakfast. Set the table, will you?"

"Yes Ma'am."

There was a quiet knock on the door.

"Go back to sleep, Winnie," Jesse whispered as she started to stir. "I'll get it." He got out of bed as quietly as he could and slowly opened the door so it wouldn't creak.

"Jesse Tuck!" Mae exclaimed. "What-"

"Shh!" He interrupted, stepping aside so she could see Winnie's sleeping form.

"What are you doing in there?" Mae hissed.

"Sleeping. Miles was snoring, so I came here, and she let me stay. She is my fiancée after all."

"Well, your food is getting cold. Wake up your fiancée."

"But she's sleeping!"

"Yes, if she were awake you wouldn't have to. Now, wake her up and come downstairs so she can get ready."

"Fine, Ma." He closed the door in her face and climbed back into bed, not as quietly as he had hoped.

"Hey, Winnie," he said softly. "Breakfast is ready." She scrunched up her nose and squeezed her eyes shut. "I know, but just think. We can get married today and be gone tomorrow." The ghost of a smile danced on her lips. "And if we've only got today, we should enjoy Ma's cooking while we can." She sighed.

"Fine," she muttered. He smiled and planted a quick kiss on her forehead.

"I'm gonna go get changed," he said as she opened her eyes. "I'll meet you downstairs." She nodded and sat up. As he left, she started redoing her hair.

"Well, they are engaged," Miles said nonchalantly, tapping his thumb on the table.

"That's what he said," Mae said, clearly exasperated.

"And he's loved her for six years. Not to mention they haven't seen each other." He stopped to take a bite of his food. "And-"

"I get it."

"You're just being a ma."

"I know." She sighed. "But Jesse is my baby, even if he's 110."

"I know, Ma. You miss when he and I were boys. Then Winnie came, and you loved her, and now she's older, too. We had this conversation last night, after she went to bed."

"Oh, we did, didn't we. I'm sorry, Miles."

"It's all right. I miss little Winnie too." The stairs started to creak.

"Hush now," she said. "That'll be one of them."

"Probably Winnie. Jesse takes forever to get ready."

His assumption was correct. Winnie had been eating fifteen minutes before Jesse took his seat next to her.

"Winnie, dear, when you're finished, would you mind waiting outside for a few minutes?" Mae asked sweetly. "I need to talk to the boys. It won't be long. Jesse can finish showing you around."

"All right," Winnie said, setting down her fork. She stood, smoothed her skirt and started for the front door.

"So, the wedding," Mae said after they heard the door close. Jesse grinned.

"What about it?" He asked. "I mean, I thought Pa could do it."

"I'm sure he could. Miles, do you think you could make the rings from some of my old jewelry?" Miles opened his mouth to respond, but Jesse interrupted.

"We don't need that," he said. "We just need to say 'I do' and then we'll be on our way."

"Nonsense," Mae said. "You've done your waiting. You two deserve a nice ceremony."

"I agree," Miles added.

"We should have Winnie in here," Jesse said, a hint of annoyance in his voice. "This does involve her."

"Why don't you show her around now," Mae said, "and Miles can start on the rings, and we'll all meet here for lunch."

"Fine," Jesse said, standing up.

"Jesse, take this to your father. He's out in the shed." She held up a plate of food. He took it and left the two to finish their meal in silence.