Chapter Zero

"She's everything, even when she's treated like nothing."

(Wanda Maximoff POV)

The government agents are coming to the airport, and we are all silent, surrounded by the rubble of a superhuman battle. We know they are coming. We know we can't escape now. 

So we all just sit, waiting. At least Cap and his friend got away.

When they come, I am the first one they go for. I sit alone in the center of the battlefield of concrete and metal. The men come in an army with guns and bulletproof vests, and with fear in their eyes.

I sit silent, head down, my scarlet suit spread around me bright red like a bloodstain on the concrete. I don't look up. I won't fight, I promise myself. They already think I'm a monster.

They shoot tranquilizers at me, one, two, then four, each hitting its mark because I don't move an inch and I don't lift a finger against them. I feel the drug move through my system and the last thing I see before I black out is the crowd of black-suited soldiers moving in towards me.

*

I awake on the floor of a dark cell. The walls are glass and on either side of me I can see my teammates in blue prison clothes, their heads down in defeat.

I try to get up, then realize that my arms are bound to my sides in a blue straitjacket. It's too tight. My hands itch to move, to use my power, but I can't. Instead I use my legs to push myself into a sitting position against the wall. My muscles are still sore where the tranq darts hit me. I turn and see Clint, sitting on his cot in the cell to my left.

"Cli-" I begin, but the vibration of my vocal cords sets off the shock collar that I realize has been placed around my neck. A high-frequency shock flashes through my body, I feel my muscles clench and it hurts, it hurts so bad. I can't even scream.

"Wands!" Clint says, getting up from his cot, and looks through the glass at me. "Hey, Wanda!" He hits the glass with the heel of his hand. "Wanda, are you okay?!"

"Clint-" I choke out. Bad idea. It hurts. It hurts. I can barely breathe for the pain. It feels like it will go on forever.

Then all at once the pain is gone. I lean over and gasp for breath.

"Wands? You all right?"

I meet his eyes and then give a tiny nod. But I'm not really all right. I can't speak. I can't use my powers. I feel caught, helpless. I want to get out of here. All I want is out.

I stare at the ground. Good for them, they've tamed the monster.

They must be so proud.