So Close (Contains Rogue One SPOILERS)

You're in my arms and all the world is calm...

Jyn nearly collapsed as she backed away from the console, her ears ringing from the pain in her head. She turned around to see Krennic's lifeless body, his cold eyes staring in shock as he clutched his chest. She had heard nothing, but turned to see Cassian standing behind her, his blaster falling to the ground as he leaned against the wall. She struggled over to him and wrapped her arms around him, tears falling from her eyes and to the ground as they held eachother. The noise around them seemed to stop, time slowing to a halt.

The music playing on for only two
So close together,
And when I'm with you
So close to feeling alive...

Cassian held her for what felt like hours, then struggled to move towards the elevator. As Jyn returned to her senses, she walked along with him, an arm wrapped behind his back. He mashed a button on the wall and the elevator door opened, allowing them to limp in together. He stood with Jyn's arms wrapped around his abdomen, and his hung over her back limply. Explosions rocked the tower, the low hum of the elevator being interrupted by blasts from outside. The time slowly passed as they held eachother, slowly descending to the ground, where they were sure to meet more danger. Cassian's eyes filled with tears as he remembered the people that had been lost in the past hour: his best friend, K-2SO; Bodhi, whom he had assumed gone; he had no idea where Baze and Chirrut were, but chances were they hadn't made it either. But he had Jyn, and that was all that mattered--he wasn't alone.

A life goes by
Romantic dreams must die,
So I bid my goodbye,
And never knew
So close was waiting,
Waiting here with you

They stumbled out of the elevator and onto the sandy shore, still grasping eachother as they watched the warzone around them. The sun beat down on the water, shimmering and reflecting. Jyn realized Scarif would've been a beautiful place if not for the battle raging around them--a beautiful place to settle down, even if just for a while. She looked up at the man holding her, shivering in pain; she had just realized how fatigued she was. She crumpled to the ground, her knees planted in the sand. Cassian fell with her, but stood feebly and pulled her along. They looked at eachother hopelessly, but Cassian gave a loving smile, even if it wasted what little energy he had.

And now, forever, I know
All that I wanted
To hold you so close

They reached the water's edge and collapsed, the brightening sun radiating warmth on their bodies and bathing them in light. It was as they looked into each other's eyes that they realized the light shining down on them was not from the sun, but from the Death Star. How ironic that the machine they were trying to take down would be the one that brought their final fate. Cassian knelt before Jyn, tears streaming down his face and hitting the sand, mixing with her own tears. Scarif was a beautiful place, especially when she was there, he realized. She smiled a sad smile at him before pressing her forehead against his, her hands grasping his neck as the light swallowed them--but they were together, and that was all they cared about.

So close to reaching
That famous happy end,
Almost believing
This one's not pretend.
And now you're beside me
And look how far we've come,
So far we are so close