Chapter 10

Katara walked with Zuko out of the garden, his firm hand gripped her soft tan one tightly as they walked toward the doors of the palace.

"Who knew you had such a cold side." Zuko said with a goofy grin on his face at the pun he had made.

"Oh hush, when I get cold my bending seems to take control." Katara said laughing while punching his arm softly narrowing her eyes teasingly.

"Hey hey I like girls with a dark side." Zuko said wiggling his eyebrows before Katara rolled her eyes.

As the two got to the door Katara opened it, as the walked down the hall she heard the sound of voices coming from the dining hall.

"Wow looks like everyone was hungry for breakfast." Zuko said a bit shocked himself.

Katara nodded agreeing as the walked and she peaked around the corner she saw Iroh, Azuela, Tylee, Jin, and lastly.. Tai. Katara heard his drunk voice echo in her head as she stepped back and froze.

As Zuko saw her stop in her track he looked up to see Tai talking with Azuela from across the table. His eyes furrowed as he pulled Katara closer to him rubbing her arm softly before walking with her to the table.

When they sat down all eyes went to the couple.

"Well look who finally decided to show up, I'm practically starved but Uncle said we had to wait for you two." Azuela said before clapping to the guards for them to get the food.

Zuko ignored his sister's comments and glared directly to Tai's direction.

"How did you get out of your room?" Zuko said coldly with his eyes still narrowed in his direction.

"The guards unlocked the doors, I'm still royalty you know." Tai said defensively folding his arms.

Katara kept her head down, her eyes frozen in her lap. She didn't have the guts to meet contact with Tai.

"I wouldn't try any of that water bending nonsense, you're gonna getcha self hurt."

Tai's voice echoed in her head causing her to flinch without looking up, she felt Zuko's hand on her thigh as he rubbed it softly trying to calm her.

"I sense some tension.. did something happen last night?" Uncle Iroh asked looking to Zuko.

"No, nothing happened." Katara said quietly without looking up.

The table fell quiet after she spoke as they all looked to her, not knowing what to say, luckily the servants started to come in with the food.

"Anywayssss.. what are you guys planning on doing for New Years Eve?" Tylee asked excitedly.

Katara raised an eyebrow, she totally forgot today was the last day of the year. Usually her tribe would go penguin sledding, have snowball fights, watch fireworks, and Katara would always put on a water show for her family.

"Obviously we're going to go out to the balcony and watch the fireworks, we always do, we have the best seat in the entire Fire Nation." Azuela said cockily with a smirk on her face.

"Wowww we've never seen it from the castle before, I bet it's beautiful." Tylee said with a bright smile on her face.

"It is young one, it brings hope for the new year, and it will be very special today because our future queen will be able to watch it with us for the first time." Iroh said softly causing Katara to look up and smile.

No matter what mood she was in Iroh always found a way to make her smile again, he was so kind.

"Thank you Firelord Iroh, I'm pleased to be able to spend it with your family and your son." Katara answered finally smiling for once throughout the whole breakfast.

"I'm glad I get to spend it with you too." Zuko said softly rubbing her leg again.

"Yeah I'm glad it's not with that Mai chick again, she was awfully weird." Mai said before Zuko shot her a glared look.

"Well I ought to get ready for tonight then, see you guys later." Tylee said taking her last bite before darting away from the table.

Katara stood up as well taking her dirty plate as everyone looked weirdly to her.

"Katara dear, we have servants you don't have to pick up your plate." Iroh said to her laughing.

"O-Oh sorry, I'm so used to having to do it in our village." Katara said laughing sheepishly.

"It's alright, now go get ready for tonight." He said chuckling as Zuko and Katara went off.

-•-

As the daytime fell and night awakened people started to appear outside the gates and around the palace waving and taking pictures.

Zuko held his arm out for Katara as the both walked toward the balcony. They both wore the traditional Fire Nation robes for the occasion. She felt weird wearing their robes but she didn't mind it.

"Why are their so many people out there?" Katara asked raising an eyebrow.

"They know the royal family comes to watch the fireworks every year so the press tries to get pictures." Zuko explained as they reached the balcony.

Azuela and Tylee were talking to two boys she had never seen before and Tai and Jin just waved to the people below on their chairs.

"We do have to wave for some pictures before we sit, we don't get a choice." Zuko said sighing not exactly wanting to.

Katara smiled and nudged him "What don't like getting a pretty picture taken of you?"

Zuko pouted his lips a bit as he narrowed his eyes down to her.

"Oh hush you." He said laughing as the reached the edge of the balcony. Katara waved down to the cameras and people screaming her name and his name.

As the two waved and smiled to the cameras Uncle Iroh finally said they could sit. They both shared one red lounging chair as they cuddled together through the night watching fireworks.

"You know last year, I was with a girl who I thought would be my everything, but I'm glad the spirits brought us together so I could see the real beautiful things in life." Zuko said looking down to Katara.

"Right now I would be with Sokka trying to chase him with snowballs, but I'm glad I'm with you." Katara said smiling up to him.

"I'm glad I'm with you too, I love you Katara and I always will." Zuko said kissing her softly.

"I love you too Zuko, I forever will." Katara said back softly before she cupped his cheek and kissed him again, while the fireworks went off in front of them their were also fireworks going off in her heart.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hey guys! Sorry so long for the wait I finally have wifi in my new house! I promise I will be updating my other story soon, thank you guys for all the love you truly are the best. Sorry again for the wait I hope you liked this chapter and of course have a Happy New Year!