Chapter 45

I sat down at the table in Mira and Agni's apartment. They seemed too busy making breakfast though. I was about to volunteer to help out, but I stopped myself when I recalled how I had accidentally walked in on them the other day. The two were close, really close.

Even as I thought this, I could hear them whispering to each other. It wouldn't surprise me if they someday married each other. That day would likely come after we had defeated the Avinish. Or if we did defeat the Avinish.

As if by chance, my mind went back to the night before when I met Mohana. He seemed like he was a nice guy, not that I was attracted to him or anything. I'm obviously not the type of person who looks for a relationship.

Mira and Agni brought the food to the table and we started our breakfast. I considered telling them about Mohana, but I stopped myself. There wasn't any use to bring up the topic.
There were more important things to be focused on.

Forty minutes later we met Veda to begin our daily training. During the training, she seemed determined to teach me how to swiftly shift between each form as I went through an obstacle course.

Veda sometimes couldn't be quiet when it came to training, "You need to trust your body when you jump, land, or when dodging objects. If you are in your tiger form and you have an arrow coming straight at you, there is only milliseconds before it hits your body. Your options are to dodge or shift to a smaller form as you dodge. A tiger is a large animal. It's a bigger target with more mass to receive a blow. Morphing into an eagle would allow you to have less body and a set of wings to give you flight..."

Veda went back and forth between the three of. She kept her focus on every person and what they needed to work on the most. There were things that I didn't even realize I needed to work on, but sometimes I got annoyed when she told me to do something I already knew well. Whenever I felt that negativity I pushed it down and told myself that I needed to calm down. The stress of the new environment and a deadly battle constantly weighed on me. Just five more days. Who wouldn't be worried by such a fact?

Finally, the day's training came to an end. Mira and Agni were obviously tired. Their steps had less energy and they dragged along slower than normal. The usual chatty conversation from before training was now a few mumbled words passed between the two.

"How about we go to that hangout place? It's called Cobalt, right?"

It was the only thing I could think of to help cheer them up some. They had seemed to like the place when they showed it to me the other day. I'm not a person who enjoys crowds, but I was willing to bare it for them.

Agni perked up, "Yeah, sounds like a good idea to me."

We returned to our apartments then changed into different clothes before going to 'Cobalt'. Once we were in the elevator I began to wonder if this was a good idea or not. Being the Striker, I drew unwanted attention to myself. That's not what Agni and Mira needed after a long day of training.

Maybe I should pretend that I don't know them and go off separately so no one will be staring at them as well. They need to enjoy themselves.

Too late. The elevator doors opened and we walked into the teenage hangout. The first thirty seconds passed without anyone noticing our entrance, but soon conversation about us blossomed and spread across the room like a fungus as we walked deeper into the sea of tables. I inwardly cringed, remembering and reexperiencing the attention I received the first time I went there.