0.1

Past

The trees were the freshest thing she had seen in days, leaves grasping at the darkened oak as the growling corpse grasped at the tree trunk. It seemed as though the dead had clung to the only obvious sources of life left, wandering in and out the vibrant forest: haunting reminders of the fact the world had gone to shit.
There was no one, barely any animals, Vera had seen maybe a couple of birds on her way through the thick greenery. The small discovery of a crow was triumph enough, the evil looking creature peering at her over a crooked beak. If birds were judging her now, maybe it really was time to end it.

She'd been walking for hours, and she knew it would idiotic to stop as she probably could not force her legs to carry her any longer if she stopped the rhythm. Vera felt the trickling of sweat down her forehead and she sighed defeatedly, not seeing an end to this journey. She figured she would be walking like this for the rest of her, probably short, life. Her boot caught in the roots below exhausted feet and she found herself flying forward with no ounce of grace. Her hands came out before her, stopping her face from being smashed into the ground, and she let out a cry as her wrists took the full impact of the fall. She rolled onto her back and groaned a curse. It ached, but she waited for the initial pain to fade so she could maybe tell if she'd broken it. "Middle of a fucking apocalypse and I'm still the clumsiest piece shit there ever was."

"Damn straight," a voice came from the right and she'd pulled the gun from her holster, aimed between familiar grey eyes and a growl erupted from her throat. She paused a moment. Vera then laughed at the sight of the grinning face, the asshole almost amused at the fact she nearly blew his damn brains out. The fucker chuckled at the gun, which fueled Vera's frustration. "Lukas, you gonna get me off this damn floor?" She sighed. She placed her hand in his, and he yanked her up, placing a hand on her shoulder to comfort her. She locked her dark eyes on his and then smiled warmly, the first human interaction she's had in maybe 26 days other than a shoot up and it was someone she knew. What luck.

Lukas Cabello, 28, total weirdo in the apartment above hers that naturally she became friends with. Vera thought he was dead already; she'd heard moans from behind his door as she went to check the roof and assumed it was him. She'd assumed everyone she knew was dead, made it easier. She could grieve them all at once in the safety of her apartment in the beginning so she wouldn't feel the weight when she eventually left. He was covered in blood very nearly head to toe, clothes shockingly dirty and she reckoned he'd worn that since it has started. She couldn't remember exactly how long ago that had been, but two months had passed at the least. She knew this, as she'd kept a tally on her wall, making it to 37 days before she decided living on mini cheddars was not the way to live; that, and the fact the dead had started banging on her door, wanting to treat her as their mini cheddars. His cheek had a nasty gash, but by her judgement it didn't seem like a bite. His hair was ruffled, a strange difference from his usual sleek, slicked back style and she decided, yes, it would be foolish to care so much about looks in a world such as this.

"Vera Feranchio, ain't I glad to see you," he breathed, pulling her into a tight hug, and she became increasingly aware of how much his bones pressed into her body. She supposed finding food was hard now, she wasn't sure why she was expecting him to be as strapping as he was. She kissed both of his cheeks in thankfulness and also greeting, mindful of the gash. "You alone?" She whispered and he looked pained for a moment. She knew he had someone, a girlfriend, before but maybe the new world had ruined that for him. Vera figured that this new world had probably ruined everything for everyone, and the only satisfaction she felt in that is the rich fuckers that did no shit for anyone would get screwed first as they have no skills. There's only so far money can get you, and past the boundary of the undead, it will not go. She waited patiently, not everyone had that time to grieve as she had. "Yes, I'm alone," He replied, tone full of regret and Vera nodded silently.

"Not anymore."

a/n these first ones are gonna be shorter probably, right up to 1.0 as this will be the past and I really really want to get into writing the present. This is not going to follow the tv show directly, I wanna do my own thing as well- if you ain't happy with that, you don't have to read. Simple as.