Chapter 9

We were just entering the town of Eden in Butte County. Rat was behind us in the van. Just then, we heard sirens behind us. "What the hell?" I muttered.

We pulled over and turned off our bikes. "We're all clean?" Jax checked.

"Yeah, Rat has all the hardware." I whispered.

The two police officers hopped off their motorcycles. "Welcome to paradise, everyone. We had a little trouble catching up to you. The speed limit is 55 on the roads here."

Jax flashed his gorgeous smile. "Yeah, sorry about that. I guess we were just enjoying the scenery."

"Where're we headed?"

"To Chester." Chibs answered.

"From where?" The officer questioned.

"San Joa. Charming."

"Well, I don't know what the laws are in Charming, but wearing those gang colors, are illegal."

"We're not a gang, we're a club." I groaned.

"Rotary, Knights of Columbus, 4-H, those are clubs. Rockers and reapers suggest something else." The other officer matter of factly stated.

Tig shifted his weight. "Officer, we didn't mean any disrespect. We know you've got a beautiful place."

"Yes we do. And we intend to keep it that way. Let's see some ID." I swore under my breath. I reached to open my saddle bag, which held my bag. I took my ID out and handed it to the officer. "We had a big robbery last week. Bikes were stolen off a truck, headed for a Butte County Harley dealer. A few Dynas, half a dozen baggers."

I rolled my eyes and motioned towards the motorcycles. "None of these bikes are new."

"Or stolen!" Tig piped in.

"No, but it looks like you have some recent modifications though." The officer muttered while he looked at the semi-new engine that was on my bike.

"Yeah, we own a garage, we do the work ourselves." Jax reasoned.

The officers looked up. "Good for you. Tell you what, I'm gonna do you a solid, okay? I'm gonna have the bikes picked up, I'm gonna run the serials for anything aftermarket, make sure no one sold you any stolen parts."

Jax started walking after the cop. "You made your point, man. We won't come through Eden again. We have a family thing we really have to get too."

"I feel you, pres." He smirked while he stared at the President patch on Jax's cut. "But I got a job to do."

Juice sat down on his bike. "And what job is that?" He spat.

I threw my hands up in air. What was he doing? Juice Ortiz has lost his mind. The lead officer stopped and eyed Juice's tribal tats on his head. "Is that supposed to be some type of tribal shit? You supposed to be a warrior, son?"

Juice cockily smiled. "No." He raised, and got into the officer's face. "But I know coward when I see one."

I stepped forward. "Okay, look. We're all just a little road weary. We didn't mean no disrespect." The cop stared at me, before his partner spoke up.

"Dispatch wants us at Exit 126, CHP request."

"Oh, okay. You call Pagone?"

"Yeah. Flatbed's on the way."

"Oh come on!" I groaned, loudly. "Just write us up for speeding, get your quota—"

"Eden doesn't have quotas. You guys are all about the brotherhood, right? Loyalty, that kind of shit? Good." The cop took out his silver handcuffs and grabbed Juice's wrist, and attached it to his bike.

"You serious?" Chibs muttered.

The second cop took out his handgun. "Hey, don't be stupid." Then he started to shoot Juice's tires.

"Hey!" I yelled. Juice started punching the officer, then Happy grabbed the second officer and held him at gun point. I grabbed Juice and threw him off the lead officer.

"You guys better think twice about this. Assaulting an officer gets you killed in this town. We know who you are!"

"Yeah, and we know a scam when we see one." Jax spat.

"Damn right we do!" Tig began. "I've seen Smokey and the Bandit a thousand times. Love that movie."

"You scumbags are done! You'll never make it out of this—" Juice punched him again.

"Juice!" I yelled. I grabbed him again and held him back. "Enough!" We heard another siren come up the road and I panicked. "Okay, let's go!"

Juice's handcuffs were off and he jumped on one of the officer's bikes. I was one of the first who sped off with full speed.

I looked in my rear view mirror and saw Juice dangerously close to the officers who were in a truck. "What the hell is he doing?" I yelled.

Rat pulled up next to Juice, slid open the van door, and waited. Juice was going to jump in, and the bike will make the cops wipe out. Their plan worked out perfectly. The squad car wiped out and flipped. "Holy shit!" Jax screamed as we all watched the wipeout in our mirrors.

"Way to go, Juicy!" I screamed as I stood up on my bike.