Chapter 13

Zaine's POV:

I have always had a short temper. After all, I am bipolar. On regular days, I'm fine. But under stressful situations, containing my anger feels like it was near impossible. I had been under a lot of stress the past few months. The guilt I have felt is so overwhelming, I often found myself drinking until I passed out. Each time, I hoped that I would just forget. But I never did.

Daniel knows Eaton only has a few years to live. No one else but my brothers and sister knew. We didn't want to burden anyone with the thought of his ultimate death. It couldn't be stopped, nor could he be saved. Besides, Eaton didn't want to be saved. He knew that it was the way things had to be. But why him? All of his life, Eaton had been caring and loving. He volunteered at many hospitals, human hospitals, to cheer up sick and dying children. While Marcus and Alex are off in their own world, hardly talking to the rest of the family like twins do, Eaton never missed our birthdays. As vampires, celebrating birthdays seemed silly and pointless to us. But Eaton was so damn stubborn, that he bought us all cakes every year.

When our parents died, Eaton made us feel like a family. He kept us together and without him, none of us would be talking, nor would we be civil. None of us fought for his sake. Eaton gave us a reason smile when the world gave us a reason to frown. He was the bright side to every foggy day. We all burdened him with our problems and our secrets. Eaton never complained about having the world on his shoulders.

How could you not smile when you were around Eaton? He was my little brother and I knew how soft I sounded by saying that, but I'd die for him. And that was what I planned to do. One part of me knew that I could sacrifice my life for his. I knew a witch who could change his fate and I would die for him. I had planned it 5 months ago. I kept this a secret however, if Eaton ever found out, he would be upset with me. He refused to let me die. He was selfless.

The thing was, I could no longer die. I had just met Arianna a few months ago and she was so innocent and fragile. She was hurt by the world and she needed someone there for her. Daniel had only used her to get close to Union and when I found out about it, it was too late. I thought things would work out when we rescued her, but of course not. Daniel had to go ahead and break her a little bit more. Daniel used her and once he was done, he threw her away. Daniel believed he was avenging our parents, but in reality he was tearing our family apart.

We all adored Arianna, except Vivian, but no one really cared about her opinion. She is far too gone for us to help her. But Vivian was a whole other topic. Arianna was a part of our family. No one knew about Daniel's true motives. When our old friend Gabriel warned me to watch over them, I failed in less than three hours. Arianna was gone without a trace. It was my job to watch over both of them.

How could I sacrifice myself when I had to keep my family together? Eaton deserved life and Arianna deserved a family. I had to get Daniel out of his insanity before he ruined the rest of us. I was absolutely torn between my decisions. I could not find the right way and I was losing the battle.

Days upon days, I drank and cried and yelled. We searched high and low before determining Arianna was long gone out of the state, possibly the country. Gabriel was with us, along with some of his friends and my brothers. Atticus was heart broken and destroyed. If I thought I had it bad, Atticus had it a thousand times worse. Daniel had also kicked him out of his life. Arianna's absence was taking a toll on him. Daniel was locked inside of his hotel room, where we feed him twice a day. None of us could talk to him, let alone look at him. He didn't like being caged up, but it was for his own good.

Gabriel was almost as angry as I was. He and Daniel were friends at one point, many years ago. But everything has been flipped upside down. I couldn't even look at my Samantha. I knew it was hurting her to see me like that and I knew ignoring her was not going to help. But I could hardly talk to anyone. My emotions were swallowing me whole. I would say all of the wrong words and do all of the wrong things. Eaton was with his fiancé at another hotel, where they refused to speak to Daniel. I supposed my lashing out was keeping them away from me as well.