Chapter 1 - Caged

Your eyes slowly fluttered open; the world slowly came too view. You blinked a few times as light shone through the bars. Wait bars?! You look at your surroundings; indeed, you were surrounded in what look to be a bird cage. You looked around the cage and found yourself in a barren room with a window, a table, and a chair. You reached for your wand in your jacket, but instead, felt her hands clutch something soft. You looked down, expecting to see your jacket pocket, but instead found feathers. Confused, you peered at her hands. Or where your hands were supposed to be.

You squeaked in fear and spread your arms out. Except they weren't arms anymore, they were wings. You looked at your reflection in the window to the left. You backed up to the back of the cage in fear. You couldn't believe what you were seeing, it was impossible. Instead of your h/c hair and e/c eyes, you had a beak, blue feathers, a long flowing tail, and wings. You had become a bird! You screamed in fright; but instead, the scream came out as a squawk.

Taking deep breaths, you were able to calm down and inspect the cage that surrounded you. Maybe there was a way to escape. You looked at the locked cage and came to a conclusion. Your wings wouldn't be able to pick it; you were trapped. Closing your eyes, you tried to figure out all the events that had happened to you in the past few days.

At first, life had been as usual. You were in your room messing around with your cat Lewis and the next second your dad barges into your room and told you to pack. Seeing the fear in his eyes, you went along with him without asking any questions. You had noticed how tense your parents had been these past few days and knew that whatever was happening, it was bad. Really bad. Ten minutes later, you were still packing when your dad rushed in again grabbing your wrist and pulling you out of your room. Telling you to forget about packing. He pushed you into the broom closet and told you that whatever happens, not to open that door.

As you sat crouching in the corner of the small broom closet, you listened to the noises outside. There was yelling and then a new voice; a voice full of venom. You shivered in fear and listened as your parents begged for him to leave and he only laughed in pure delight.

The new voice spoke angrily, "Where did you hide them?!" Your parents refused to give him whatever he was talking about. Soon crashing noises filled the house and then there was a small pause of silence. Ignoring your father's earlier wishes, you quietly pulled the door open just enough to see what was going on, but not enough for anyone to notice.

You froze at the sight in front of you. Your mom was lying in your father's arms motionless. The man smiled and pointed his wand at your father whispering, "Avada Kedavra." Your father became still and dropped on top of your mom. You stared in horror at the scene, tears pouring down your face at full force. However, your hand was still lying on the doorway and in your moment of weakness your hand slipped and the door was flung open. The man's gaze flickered over to and as fast as your legs would allow, you sprinted up and began to run. You heard him following behind you and ran out into the woods not daring to look back, fearing that he might catch you.

You were taken from your thoughts when the door in the room was swung open and in strolled a man.

You cowered to the edge of the cage as you recognized the man standing in front of you. It was the same man who had killed her parents. Gathering as much courage as possible, you squawked, "What do you want with me?"

He only smiled and laughed. He took the handle at the top of the bird cage and set it on the table. "There now we can look at each other eye to eye." He told you coldly.

"What did you to do to me?" You growled, hatred for this man filling your entire being.

"I can't understand you, dearie. I don't speak bird." He smirked evilly. You hissed at him while he simply ignored it and continued talking. "I suppose you want to know what's going on, aye? I am Grindelwald, and... well, I've put you under an ancient curse. You see, your parents have been pests in my backside for years, now that I've gotten rid of them I'm going to get rid of you. I don't want to take any chances of you following in your parent's footsteps."

"And so dearie, I've turned you into a bird. A phoenix to be exact. A bit flashy I know, but it will catch the attention of both muggle hunters and wizard hunters alike. You'll be hunted just as any beast within two days of release. Now don't think you're anything special now that you're a phoenix. You're not immortal and your tears don't have healing powers, and you won't be able to use magic anymore either. The spell I used on you has a side effect to it." He smiled. "If you do the spell correctly, it takes away the victim's magic. Permanently." He laughed as if it was all a big joke to him.

His words puzzled you.What did he mean it takes away your magic? And how did he turn you into a phoenix? There was no such magic.

He answered your question as if he read your mind. "Ancient dark magic, that's what this is. Magic so dark so cruel, that could take away a wizard's magic forever. Which would you rather, live a long life with no magic or a die with your magic? Most would rather die with their magic still inside them, so such magic was banned many years ago and forgotten by all except our two families. My great, great, great, great grandfather Horbuscus Grindelwald had found an ancient book full of dark magic and wanted to study it, but your ancestor Alabaster Griffin, his partner, disagreed. He thought it was too dangerous. Instead, your ancestor wanted the book and the spells along with it to be destroyed. Your ancestor turned Horbuscus in and the book was taken away from him. Luckily, however, he was able to save a few pages from the book and hid it from the other wizards, practicing in secret.
The pages were passed down from generation to generation until it was placed under my father's care. My father tried to learn the spells, but your grandparents discovered what he was doing and sent the ministry after him. To my luck, he was able to teach me one of the more powerful spells before your grandparents had gotten ahold of the pages and my father was sent to Azkaban. These were the spells that I have now used on you. Now, you won't be able to reverse the spells, I can promise you that. Not without those lot pages at least, but as I said, they're lost. If you try to get help it won't work either, I don't think you know anyone who speaks Phoenix. " You stared at him in shock.

He stood up from the chair he had perched on during his speech and went towards the door, before turning around and saying, "Don't worry, I won't be the one to kill you. I have a patron who loves collecting magical creatures and stuffing them. He would pay a high price for a phoenix such as yourself." He sneered at you before disappearing behind the door with a loud bang and a click. He had locked the door.

Exhaustion flowed through you as your mind tried to process all that was happening. You couldn't believe it. You tried saying a spell, it came out as squawking and nothing happened. He really did take your magic away forever and now you would be a bird for the rest of your life. As the thoughts buzzed in your head, you soon succumbed to sleep and the world once again became dark.

***

Another chapter is finished! I just want you all to know that while this is a Newt Scamander x reader story, it will be focused more on the adventure than on all the lovey dovey stuff. I've read a lot of fanfic stories where they focus more on love than on a good story plot and it kills me!

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day!

-- Coupondeals ;)