Chapter 1: In Which She Forgets

I played with the end of my sweater paws as Mr. Mordone explained the relevance of physics to our everyday lives. And while I do excel physics, his droning was really getting to me. I let my gaze wander around the room, studying my peers, who like me, were obviously not paying attention. I snorted when I caught sight of Calum, who was drooling as he snoozed on top of his textbook. He was always falling asleep in his classes, yet he always got all A's.

"Hey, Alex!"

I spun my head around when I heard someone whisper my name, and I locked eyes with one of my best friends, Ashton. While he may be a senior, and I was only a sophomore, we had grown really close when I randomly asked him for advice back when I was a freshman. He grinned and motioned his head back to Calum.
"I know," I mouthed. Ashton chuckled before he went and flicked something at Calum. It him directly on his cheek and his eyes fluttered open. He sat up groggily, running a hand through his messy brown hair before he turned around and glared at Ashton, who just laughed quietly, leaning back in his chair. I rolled my eyes at them just as the bell rang.

"Don't forget to read Chapter 6 in your textbook, you'll be having a quiz on Friday!" Mr. Mordone called, making all of us collectively groan as we gathered our things. I walked out of my row and waited at the front of the classroom for Ashton as he gathered all his books.

"C'mon Ash, you're so damn slow," I teased and he rolled eyes at me as he walked over to me.

"Yeah, well at least I'm not short," he snapped back, and I pouted. It was true, he towered over me since I was only 4'10, but that didn't mean it didn't get me annoyed every time he mentioned it, which was seemingly every single day.

I brushed a strand of my cropped black hair back as I scowled at him. "Shut up Irwin."

Together we walked out of the classroom and out to the halls. A couple people passed by and called out to Ashton, who smiled at each and everyone of them. Ash was the very definition of popular, and while I wasn't the epitome of popularity myself, once I had started to hang out with him and his friends more often, I sort of became popular by default. People started to look at me different, especially since his friends were mostly upperclassmen, and I was the lucky sophomore who got to hang out with them on the weekends.

"Are you wearing one of Luke's sweaters again?" Ashton suddenly asked, studying me.

I fiddled with the hem of the blue sweater, tugging the ends as the two of us walked into the lunchroom. Luke was one of Ashton's many friends, but he was a sophomore like me. We always hung out together on the weekends, with the rest of Ash's friends, but that didn't mean we really talked. The two of us had always just exchanged awkward hellos in the halls. But, we had this sort of agreement with each other. Luke always wore these cute sweaters and beanies, which I loved, and I was at the top of my class. So, in exchange for my chem and lit homework, I could get his sweater, and or beanie. As long as I returned them to him by the end of the day. If I didn't, the deal would be off. Hence, why I was wearing one of his sweaters right now. "Yeah, why?"

"It's just you're always wearing one of his sweaters, or not one of his beanies, and it's kinda weird." We sat down at a table and Ash looked at me, hazel eyes sparking. "Do you like him or something?" I snorted at the idea. I barely knew the blond, we just had a silent agreement with each other. I wasn't even too sure if he knew my name.

"Please, I don't even know him," I scoffed. "And besides, I've told you. He gives me his sweaters and hats, for my homework in chemistry and AP Literature." Ash raises an eyebrow, a strange look flashing in his eyes. I brush it of and rummage through my book bag to take out my wallet, removing a ten dollar bill and placing it in Ashton's hand. He looks confused, staring at the money in his hand.