Chapter 2

After my shower, Claire pretty much interrogated me. Each question I answered, I answered while trying to stay awake. I think I fell asleep a few times, but oh well.
    "What happened to your arm? How did you find my brother? What was the Darklands like? Why were you gone so long?" She asked. The questions just kept coming.
    "I was gone for so long because the Darklands are like a labyrinth. The Darklands are dark. I found your brother with help from a Changeling that was rebelling against Gunmar. And I broke my arm and leg in a battle with him." I explained. At first she seemed curious, but now she seemed serious.
    "You saw Gunmar?" She asked in a low voice.
    "Yes, he was very mad about his son's death. I would be dead if the rebelling changeling hadn't saved me. She died for me." I said. Claire was about to say something, when her parents walked in.
    "Claire why is Jim here?" Her father asked.
    "He... uh... couldn't sleep. So I... um... invited him over." She said.
    "He better not be here past midnight." Her mother warns. They leave.
    "I really hope you have a place to go after midnight." She said.
    "Hey what's the time?" I ask.
    "Um... 10:45." She says.
    "Ok. I'm gonna head over to Toby's. They lock up at 11:00." I get up.
    "Jim, thank you so much for saving Enrique. Now I just have to figure out what to do with Not-Enrique." She chuckles. "Are you gonna be at school tomorrow?"
    "Nope, I'm going down to Trollmarket tomorrow." I say. "See ya later, Claire."
    "Goodnight, Jim." I leave and walk over to Tobes house. I knock on the door. No answer. I check my phone. 10:57. Close, I knock again. Nana answers.
    "Hello Jim. Toby-pie! Jimmy's here!" She shouts. "Come in, it has been a while since you were here last." She says as Toby walks in. His whole face lights up.
    "JIM!!!" He shouts. He embraces me in a crushing hug. Luckily I go my arm up before he could break it even more.
    "Dude! Be careful." I say chuckling. He lets go.
    "You look horrible!" He says, then thoughtfully adds, "but you smell surprisingly girly."
    "Yeah, one year in the Darklands with only 12 nights of sleep really do a number on a teen." I say.
    "ONLY 12 NIGHTS?!?" He shouts. "That's one night a month." He dragged me to his bedroom. "You are sleeping. Now." He says pushing me into his blankets.
    "Where are you gonna sleep?" I ask. "And watch out. I have a broken arm and leg!" I scold. He cringes.
    "Ouch. What did you do?"
    "Gunmar." I say.
    He was gonna say something then cut himself off. "I'll ask later. You need sleep." He says. Then he turns out his light and goes on his phone. Best thing about Tobes, I think to myself, I can always sleep at his house without warnings. Then sleep overtakes me. When I wake up, it's around three in the afternoon. I stretch. Get up, grab the horngazel, and head for the bridge.
    When I get to Trollmarket it is 100% silent again. In the middle of the day! What is going on? I ask myself. I go down to the library, again. Blinky's just waking up, and I'm excited to talk to him again. He looks my way.
    "Master Jim!" He shouts.
    "Blinky!" I run to him and we hug. Well, he hugs me, I'm trying to keep my arm safe from yet another crushing. But it ended up getting crushed anyways. I stepped back. "Ow. Ow. Ow." He studies me.
    "What in the world happened to you, Master Jim?" He asks with concern.
    "The Darklands?" I say, wondering if he wanted something more specific.
    "Did you find the missing boy?" He asks me.
    "Yep, home and safe." I say.
    "Good, good. Does Barbara know your safe? Claire and Toby told her you were kidnapped. Draal says she's a wreak."
    "No, I haven't been home yet. I gave Claire her brother, and slept at Toby's house."
    "Well you might want to go back home soon. Your mother's a complete wreck." Toby says as he and Claire walk in. I sigh.
    "I guess I should go home, then." I say. I get up and walk out.