Skylar's Symphony - Chapter 1

Hey guys! So this is a new story I'm starting and would really like your feedback to help me decide if I will be continuing with this story. Just let me know what you think!

Always Love,

RomanticAtHeart <3

-------------------------------------------------

She could see the colors of sound swirling around her, they had always been there, a constant reminder of how she was different.

When she was younger she tried to tell the others about what she saw, but they never believed her. It was always the same story; they would try to convince her that it was just her imagination, tell her it was crazy talk, but she knew what she saw. She had learned very quickly to keep her mouth shut if she ever planned to get adopted; her chances were slim enough at her age.

Skylar Fallon was 17, in and out of foster homes for the full extent of her years. At age 4 it had looked promising, young newlyweds who couldn't have kids, but as soon as she mentioned how she could see the sounds they decided she wasn't normal enough for their picture perfect family. She'd learned to deal with the rejection, it had come often enough.

She only had a year before she was done with foster homes forever, she could hardly wait. It wasn't as though she wasn't grateful to her new current foster mother, one of the nicest she's had, it was just that she didn't want to deal with the pity anymore. She could see it in people's eye's when they found out she was a foster kid, that her parents were dead.

It was one of the reasons she didn't really have any friends or even a boyfriend, but that didn't mean she was ugly; quite the opposite, actually. She was striking with a full head of ink-stained, black hair that reached all the way down to her slender hips; steely grey eyes, which had mesmerized more than a few; and a sun-kissed tan that many girls tried so hard to achieve. The main reason behind her solitude was the distance she would always put between herself and anyone else, constantly afraid of more unnecessary rejection.

She wondered how this new school would turn out, as she finished lacing up her new boots. Her foster mother, Rhonda Garrison, had brought her shopping after seeing her previous wardrobe; she really was a nice old woman. When she finished with the last knot, she grabbed her bag and headed down the stairs to find Rhonda sitting at the table, drinking tea with one hand and reading the paper with the other.

"Good morning, dear." Rhonda greeted, her lips moving into a smile, a real smile.

"Hey, thanks again for the clothes. You really didn't have to," Skylar responded, taking a seat across from her guardian. She took a moment to really look at her; warm brown eyes gazed back at Skylar, crinkles around the edges from what seemed to be a permanent smile; her hair had gone completely grey, but was still growing full and healthy; overall, she looked like a sweet old woman and Skylar was glad to have her.

"Oh nonsense, no way any daughter of mine, foster or not, was going to school with your old wardrobe. Also, your allowance will be whatever I am given from the state, it's technically for you anyways. "

Skylar was surprised, to say the least. Never before had she been given an allowance, usually all her foster parents kept the money; no matter what they said their intentions were for fostering.

"I, I don't know what to say. Thank-you."

Rhonda nodded, glad to see the real happiness in Skylar's usually solemn eyes, "Better head out now though, if you plan on catching the bus."

With that Skylar headed out the door, anxious to get the whole new girl ordeal over with.

##########################

The bell rang just in time for Skylar to reach the door to her first class. That probably had to be one of the more annoying aspects of moving from place to place, always having to memorize the school's layouts before ever imagining of having a chance to make it to class on time. Well here goes nothing, she thought as she reached for the handle with her albeit sweaty, from nerves, hand. Before she could grasp it though it was flung open with such force, she cold feel the air whip around her and see the faint blue wisps of the sound fade into the proceeding silence. 

Standing in the doorway was one of the most attractive guys she'd ever seen. His hair was just as dark as her own and fell over his bright cerulean eyes in the most enticing way, reaching to a curl just above his ears. He had to be at least 6'3 and without an ounce of fat on him, which Skylar could see due to the lightweight cotton tee he wore that fit snug around his broad shoulders, accentuating the hard planes of his very well sculpted chest. All the while that Skylar drank in his every feature, he stood there watching her curiously with one eyebrow raised while she continued to gawk.

"Oh, sorry," she said while taking a step back, a faint blush tinging her cheeks as she realized he was waiting for her to move.

He nodded in response before continuing his dramatic exit down the hall, each step leaving lines of jagged red from the angry sound his, worn down, converse made. 

"Damn hooligan," said I voice to my right.

I turned and looked up to see a balding man, probably in his late forties, standing there in with his arms crossed and a frown that seemed to be stamped onto his face permanently. This is going to be fun, thought Skylar, but judging by the "I just sucked a lemon" expression he wore, it was going to be the exact opposite.

"You must be the new student. Shannon, right?" His voice was a murky brown, flat line. It stayed straight, emotionless.

"Skylar," she corrected.

"Well who knows anymore with all these damn rapper names nowadays. Take a seat anywhere that's empty, for now. I will move you if you, in any way, are disrupting my class"

She nodded in response and took a seat in the corner by the window above  the rickety heater. The purr of the old thing was comforting, and gave off a light brick-colored glow that matched the sound perfectly.  

"Alright class, we have a new student. Please introduce yourself," he asked simply.

With that every eye in the class turned to her, waiting. She could already see the judgemnt in some eyes and she hadn't even spoken yet. Might as well get it all out now.

"My name's Skylar Fallon, I'm 17 and my parents died when I was a baby. I've been in the system since then. Any questions?"

No one seemed to have a response so she sat back down and looked out the window just in time to see the guy from earlier jump on his black Kawasaki ninja 650 and speed away. Who was he?

Skylar could see how the teacher's gaze had changed. He probably thought she was one of those bad foster kids always causing trouble, but she had never been the bad kid. Instead she got straight A's and avoided conflicts as best she could.

"Hey, I'm Adam." Green waves of color, from a smooth, deep voice.

Skylar looked to her right to see a pair of the greenest eyes, they were like a rich moss.  He was cute, blonde hair, built frame, chiseled features, but he didn't even come close to the other guy. Nope, the other guy was... Stop it! You do not need to be thinking of boys right now.

She nodded before looking back down to her bare desk.

"You don't talk much, do you? Well, that's alright, I'd have done most of the talking anyway. Why don't I give you a tour after class? The Adam Carter way!" He was persistant, she'd give him that much. 

He seemed sincere in his intentions so she responded with a simple, " Okay."

Her answer seemed to lift his spirtits and he beamed a smile full of pearly whites in her direction. Maybe  not everyone here is that bad, she thought.

 -----

 Please let me know what you think! I should have the second chapter up by Sunday night!