Prologue

"Is that the last of them?" hissed the black dragon, flicking a dismissive glance over the small, heavily-armored grey-brown dragon prostrated at her feet.

The bound captive beside him had an expression of intense pain, but the glowing hot metal chain wrapped around her snout prevented her from making any noise. Looking up, she managed to make eye contact with the dragon above her before the pain pushed it back down again. She repressed a shudder. Queen Deathcry.

"Yes, your Majesties," he replied nervously, thrusting the trussed up IceWing behind him forward.

The icy blue dragon let out a hiss of pain as her body scraped over a sharp rock, leaving behind a trickle of blue blood. She wanted to spit at him, to kill every one of those... SteelWings, yes, that was right. But she knew she'd be no match. If only I could shatter all their blasted technology, maybe we would've won.

"Good," purred the queen of the SandWings seated beside the NightWing. Kalahari flared her wings and looked down on the captive, contempt written in every inch of her face. "That will be all, Tungsten. You may leave."

The grey-brown dragon exited as fast as his wings could carry him, leaving the IceWing prisoner alone with the seven queens.

A calculating silence followed, broken only by gentle plopping sounds as water dripped from the cave wall to the floor. The captive knew this was to make her uncomfortable, and she couldn't deny that they were succeeding.

The prisoner's eyes darted towards each of the following queens, hating them with every fiber of her body. Queen Parhelion, she thought fiercely, as soon as I'm out of my chains, you will cower under the true ruler of the IceWing tribe!

The new IceWing queen noticed her studying her and grinned.

"You," hissed the MudWing, "you have failed. Miserably. You tried to raise a rebellion against us, and FAILED!" Fen lashed her tail back and forth, too angry for words.

Que-no, not queen. The not-royal Parhelion looked at her prisoner arrogantly. "I am rather irritated that you managed to escape my claws, my dear Glacier." She sighed, looking at the claws in question as if imagining them stained blue. "But I am quite curious about one thing." She fixed Glacier with a stare, a hint of cold amusement in her eyes. "Who was it who died in your place? Who died because you were a coward?"

Glacier shut her eyes, her daughter's screams echoing in her ears. She could hear the queens laughing at her horror, and she tried to shut off the memory. But the screams lingered...

Now the SeaWing spoke. "I always knew you were a coward. But pretending to die from a plague? Even I thought that was beneath you." Torosa's eyes were dancing with mirth as she watched the leader of her intended killers collapse with the screams of the dead roaring through her mind.

Stop. Stop! Stop! No no no, don't kill me! I'm sorry I didn't mean for you to die, my daughter!!

Glacier shook her head violently and the chains somehow came off, her snout still burning hot. She opened her mouth to summon frostbreath, but to no avail.

"Oh, pretty queen, I wouldn't do that if I were you." Glacier looked up to see the new RainWing queen uncamouflage and alight on a stalactite. Queen Azure opened her mouth and prepared to shoot venom. "Not unless you'd like to have a lovely scar like Queen Hummingbird."

Glacier froze, her mind filling with sympathy for poor Glory and Darkstalker. They were lucky-- Glory'd stepped down days earlier to take care of her dragonets, leaving her daughters in charge.

Those daughters? Not so lucky.

"I suppose you're going to kill me, then?" rasped Glacier, finding her voice at last. She could tell that her scales wouldn't cool down fast enough to grant her the lovely sight of the seven queens encased in ice, but she had to try.

"Oh no," smiled Kalahari, flicking her poisonous tail and smirking as Deathcry flew down and grabbed the chain and Nimbus spat a bout of fire at it.

The sizzling hot metal encased Glacier's snout once more, causing her so much pain she couldn't understand how she was still alive.

"Worry not, dear Glacier. We've got a much more interesting plan for you."

Written by Ember! Hope you enjoy this new book! :)

Briefly edited by Aquarius.