Three

Aspen, Colorado~ 3 weeks later

Mercuri Nikolaides could've easily envisioned himself taking part in dozens of scenarios other than the one he currently stood in the midst of. Also worthy of note, was who he stood in the midst of it with. Mercuri's business partner and long time friend Pope Apostolou hadn't found it at all funny when he'd extended a party invite only to have Mercuri laugh in his face or... over the phone as it were.

Nevertheless, there he stood as Pope's 'plus one' at his neighbor's house-warming party. Mercuri didn't know what was more surprising, that the man actually had neighbors or that they liked him well enough to invite him into their home.

Mercuri cut his friend some slack, knowing all too well how easily Pope could turn on the charm when he chose. This, despite the intimidating persona the man could tug on like clothes.

Mercuri returned his focus to the conversation he stood closest to. The hosts were explaining that their gathering was in fact a re-housewarming party.

"The place isn't new, just newly remodeled," Steve Brassels explained.

Steve's wife began to laugh while shaking her head. "It's not even that," Denise Brassels put a hand to her husband's arm. "We simply had it modified."

"I don't get it," Pope said flatly. "Is that like something with your mortgage?" He asked.

Steve Brassels chuckled. "Good to know I'm not the only one who was confused."

"Oh..." Denise poked her husband's ribs with a soft elbow and then turned to her guests. "We got into it during a visit to one of our friends in California. We were just as clueless as you are now, Pope. Then we sat down with the modifier who explained the concept." The woman positioned her hands as though she were envisioning a scene.

"Basically, all you see here has been here all along," Denise's shrug sent the sequins sparkling across her black blouse. "With the addition of a few minor details, new life has been breathed into our home." Denise laughed when her guests regarded her with curious and skeptical looks. Next, she was pointing to a suede sectional sofa across the large crowded den. The room, glassed in on three sides, overlooked the Brassels' rear lawn. The acreage was an expanse of winter white lit by shimmers of gold from the yard lamps placed throughout.

"I already had four people ask what we did with our old couch," Denise was saying. "Lots of them remembered it because each section boasted a caddy that could hold everything from drinks and chips, to socks and blankets- very popular on our game days during football season." She slapped her hands to her sides and looked wholly content. "None of them believed me when I told them it was the sames sofa we've had since we moved here eleven years ago."

"So why do they think it's new?" Mercuri was somewhat stunned by his interest in the answer.

Denise shrugged as though the concept were elementary. "Our modifier does much of what an interior designer would, but on a smaller scale that's nicer for the wallet."

Looking confused, Pope dragged a hand through a wealth of blue black waves that just brushed his shoulders. "Couldn't you just go out and find your own new pillows for the couch?"

Mercuri bowed his head when his mouth quirked on a smile. He was sure the tidy 60something couple would be unnerved by Pope's harmless, but gruff manner as he towered over them.

The Brassels merrily traded amused looks and then laughed.

Steve Brassels knocked a fist to Pope's bicep. "That's where the science comes in."

"See, it all goes far beyond new pillows and drapes," Denise continued the explanation. "They're little additions the average person might never think of in terms of redecorating. Folks tend to look at the flash and dazzle instead of the tiny elements that bring out the more vibrant subtleties."