Chapter Twenty-Three: No Yoko

“Room 314. Just talk to him, don’t let him try to run away,” Liam said, tucking the key into my jacket pocket. I smiled and kissed him on the cheek, thanking him for the ride, “Just text me when you need me to come and get you.” I nodded and hopped out of the car. Calm as I could, I pushed through the front door and made a beeline for the elevator. I tapped my feet and drummed my fingers against the wall as I waited for it to arrive. I was ridiculously nervous. Finally, the elevator arrived and I rushed in, frantically hitting the button for the third floor. The ride was slow, and the anticipation continued to creep upon me. Finally, after what seemed like years, the elevator stopped and the doors opened. I ran my fingers along the labels on the doors, feeling the brail numbers, until I reached 314.

Taking a deep breath and closing my eyes, I slid the key into the slot and opened the door. The room was laid out like most hotel rooms, you immediately walk into a hallway with a bathroom on the side. At the end of the hallway was the entrance to the main area. I could see the end of the beds and the T.V. from where I was standing. All I heard was a few sniffles and someone typing away on a computer. Was he crying? Why would he be crying? What the hell was going on? I stepped into the room and closed the door behind me, trying to be as quiet as possible. As soon as the latch clicked, the sniffles stopped.

“I thought you were going to Brianna’s, Li. Did you forget something?” Harry asked from down the hall. I slowly walked down the hallway and into the main room. Harry was laying on one of the beds with a laptop in his lap, staring intently at the screen and typing. He didn’t even look up when he heard me enter the room.

“Yes,” I said quietly, “He forgot you.” His head shot up when he heard my voice, his face a mask of shock.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, his eyes narrowing. I stepped further into the room.

“Liam gave me a ride. I need to talk to you.” I slowly walked towards him, sitting on the edge of his bed. He scooted as far away as he could and shut his laptop.

“Liam? I’m surprised you didn’t get Zayn to drive you. Cause you know, you two are so close,” he spat at me. I furrowed my eyebrows.

“What are you talking about?”

“Don’t play dumb. You know what I’m talking about.”

“No, Harry, I don’t. What the is your problem? Care to share?”

“I don’t have a problem.” I looked at him, confused.

“You don’t have a problem! You won’t talk to me, and you’re clearly upset with me! Just tell me Harry! Jesus I have no clue what’s going on and I hate it! I hate having my best friend mad at me and not knowing how to fix it! This sucks!” I screamed, pressing my hands against my forehead and falling back onto the bed. I let my hands slide down so that they covered my face, then opened two of my fingers so I could watch him. He studied me for a minute, then crossed his arms.

“You know how you can fix it? Just go back to your house and have a fucking great time with Zayn. And leave me alone.” I felt my eyes start to water and almost got up and left. Almost, before a light bulb went off in my head. I propped myself up on my elbows and looked at him, balancing on the right as I wiped the tears out of my eyes.

“Are you mad at me because I kissed Zayn on the cheek?” he looked away, “Why?” he wouldn’t look at me. I sat all the way up and tried to turn him. He wouldn’t turn, so I slipped under his arms and sat in his lap. Grabbing his chin, I forced him to look me in the eyes, “It didn’t mean anything Harry.”

“Promise?” he whispered. I nodded. Relief washed over his beautiful green-emerald eyes.

“Not a thing, Harry. Don’t worry, you’re still my favorite, and you always will be. Besides, I wouldn’t put the unity of the band at stake by dating Zayn.” He furrowed his eyebrows.

“The unity of the band?” I nodded.

“Wasn’t that why you were mad? Cause if I dated Zayn and we broke up, you guys would pick sides and get mad and break up! But don’t worry, I don’t like Zayn like that!” He studied my face.

“No, that wasn’t why I was mad. Would you really not date one of us because of the band?” I nodded.

“I don’t want to be a Yoko! Plus, every teenage girl in the world would hate me more than they already do.” He stared at me intently.

“But, if you had a guarantee that the band wouldn’t break up, would you date one of us? Do you like one of us like that?” I blushed.

“Well…..ummmm……” he continued to stare into my eyes, waiting for the answer, “Yes,” I whispered. He slowly nodded and kept his eyes on me.

“Who? Best friends, you have to tell me!” he pressed. I looked away, blushing.

“You know who my favorite is.” He grabbed my chin and forced me to look back at him. My cheeks were flaming as his eyes studied every feature of my face, before they lingered on my lips. He started to lean in even closer than he already was, our foreheads touching.

“For the record, you’re my favorite too,” he whispered, before he pressed his lips against mine.