It's Not Fair

It was another day, just like the others. I was very tired by the time I reached my house. Everyone I saw today seemed to be in a bad mood. Maybe everyone really does hate me. I must be such a pest...a menace. I can't wait til I leave this wretched world.

I hate to say it but maybe even those kids that I used to go to school with were right. If I had taken my worthless life, I wouldn't be a grown man crying about my life. Ugh how my head aches from my foolishness. Why Xavier, why must you fuck everything up?

"Xavier!" my mother yells. Yes I still live with my parents but I do work it just doesn't pay enough. "Yes, mother?" I yell back. "Wouldn't you like to come have dinner with us?" she says. "N..no mother I already ate, but thank you!" I reply. "Well.....alright then.." she yells back up hesitantly.

I love my mom but I hate that motherly instinct she has...the one that can sense when something is wrong with her child. It's really not fair. I know I worry her sick, but my fatass doesn't deserve to be a complete bum and take my parent's food. Truth is I haven't eaten in about four days. Mothers knows too...maybe not that exactly but she can sense that something's been off recently.

She isn't wrong either. Since I was about eight I have had the feeling of sadness stuck inside me up until recently whereas I now feel nothing. I hate feeling this empty. Ya'know, I've actually been thinking of heading to the Broken Tree.

That's where many poor, lost souls have took their last breathe. A shame it is but I wouldn't mind trying it. Those people mattered more than I ever will. Yet this fucked up world got to them.

The Broken Tree is said to be haunted of the souls who took their life there. I've never been there because the old folks say that once you go you will certainly kill yourself. Be it at your house in your room or at the tree itself. You see, maybe you could change your mind about doing it, but the voices of the poor souls that stay deep within the trees roots won't let you get a wink of sleep.

The story of the Broken Tree goes: There was a man, who was thought to be extremely handsome and smart, nonetheless, he was an unhappy man. He never let anyone know it but that man must've cried five oceans in his years being in this horrible world. See the thing is, this world steals your innocence and makes you so unhappy until you start to make yourself unhappy...then that's it. There's no escaping or hope for an escape. That's why he and many more have made the Broken Tree their escape. This man's name was Xanthos Davie. Back to the story...he turned into a drunk, talked about seeing fairies and dragons and whatnot. He'd say "There's a world beyond that not even your imagination could conjure up, and I'll get there even if I have to take my own life." Well anyway, one day he was at the pub talking to some mythical being that wasn't to be seen by anyone else. He said it told him to follow it so he did. It lead him to the Broken Tree where it hung a rope and you can guess what happened next; Xanthos Davie went to the world beyond.

Xanthos Davie is turning seven hundred and seventy seven years old tomorrow. I think my gift will be joining him in the world beyond.