Chapter 1

The wind whipped my long blonde hair about my face as I raced through the forest of Lӧrien; leaping from branch to branch in an elegant manner. My knee length fighting dress flew out behind me as I leapt from the tree tops, grasping a hanging vine and letting go once more so I would fly through the air. I pulled an arrow from my quiver that was slung across my shoulders and set it into my bow. I released it as I flew through mid-air; it pierced through an unsuspecting robin with such force that it shot out the other side. I caught it again as I swung beneath the branch that the bird had been sitting on only moments before. 

I landed lightly upon the very tip of the tree limb and continued to speed along in the beautiful canopy of the forest; leaping from tree to tree so fast that I could barely have been seen from any dwellers below. I glanced below me; only a few paces ahead was a large gap between the trees as a lazy stream trickled through them. This sudden obstacle did not unnerve me; if fact I was filled with so much energy that it seemed to encourage me in some way. As an elf, I was gifted with the sort of abilities that allowed me to complete seemingly impossible physical tasks that no man could ever endure. I held my breath as I neared the gap in between the trees and slung my bow onto my shoulder so it was easier for me to jump.

 If I somehow slipped and fell, I knew it would damage my body; it would be more than likely I would break some bones. Although bones could be easily healed with the best elvish medicine here in Lothlӧrien, it would still cause me a considerable amount of pain in the process.

I pushed myself from the tip of the branch and launched myself upward. I very gracefully, stretched my legs out horizontally through the air with one behind and one in front of me, making sure I would meet the distance. I quickly glanced down at the slow creek that was below me where young elf-children played. One of them caught sight of me and I smiled reassuringly; making sure that they didn’t think I was there to frighten them.

I had judged the distance perfectly and I continued along my path as soon as my toes had hit the next branch. This time; I caught sight of a small squirrel hole that was a few metres above me, I stretched my arm back as far as it would go and released my bow-string. It hit right on target, in the centre of the crevasse. I smiled and marvelled at my own success, each day I practiced my aim and each day I got better. I was becoming so good in fact, that it was soon possible for me to defend the kingdom for my people.

I argued often with my father Celeborn, whether I, the Princess of Lӧrien, should be allowed to part-take in such occurrences, but with the extreme talent that I expressed I would not see it any other way. My mother, Galadriel, believed that I was capable, and with her gift of fore-sight, my father would not pursue the matter any longer.  My dream was to lead my father’s army into battle against the forces of the Dark Lord, but for now all I could do was practice, and practice I did.

I had grasped firmly to another vine and swung, but stopped myself when I saw a movement from below me. I clung on tightly to the vine, making sure I did not make a sound. I reached for another two arrows that were strung across my back and got them ready into place, stretching the bowstring past my shoulders whilst still holding onto the vine with one hand.

I furrowed my brow when the creature below me revealed itself a little more; it wasn’t a deer or a rabbit or even a fox. It was dark in colour and about the size of a small boulder; it shifted quickly beneath the leaves as if it had many legs. I heard a strange clicking sound and gasped when I realized that it was actually a massive pair of pincers, making the noise. The rest of the creature’s body emerged from beneath the ferns and I was staring down transfixed on what looked like a common forest spider, except that it was massive. I let go of the vine in shock and suddenly found myself falling from the tree tops, heading right for the monstrous spider that clicked its pincers eagerly. I yelped, it felt as if I was falling in slow motion; the spider coming closer and closer until: