Prologue

A hulking black shape stood still on the edge on a cliff, his wings streamlined to his sides and unbuffered by the strong winds that threatened to tilt him off balance. He arched his neck, looking down at the jagged rocks staying strong against water crashing against them. The edges of his black lips curled into a smirk.

"Morrowseer." A voice echoed from behind him, deep but still female. He sighed quietly and turned from the roaring waves, his tail sliding neatly behind him against the smooth earth ground.

A elegant form, a light sandy brown, stood proudly there, black diamonds etching themselves up and down her curved neck. A thin tail tipped with a curled barb rattled against stones on the ground. A devious smirk adorned a cold face. Morrowseer smiled.

Two powers, each in their own way, facing each other on a cliff none would ever remember. One gold, one black; each working together for the same purpose.

"Blister." He inclined his head, taking his eyes off her for just the barest of seconds, before raising them to meet her equally black ones. "You received my message?"

She nodded slowly, her diamond shaped head moving smoothly against the wind. Her wings tucked themselves closer to her body until they were practically invisible. She got straight to the point, no denying that she was blunt. "Why would you want to add a new line to the prophecy?"

Morrowseer smiled, his eyes alight with the insane glint that had let him come up with the idea in the first place. "Think of it as... a backup plan."

Blister frowned, her perfect features marred. "Another group of dragonets? To take over if the first would fail?"

Morrowseer blinked in disgust. He snorted, his warm breath stirring the chilled air. "Now, that would be silly!" He chided. "Twice the chance of this entire plan failing. Nothing as drastic as that."

Blister stilled, her tail twitching ominously. "Morrowseer." She warned coldly, her face lowering until her eyes were slits.

"I simply mean that if something were to happen, if the delightful little dragonets were to gain a mind of their own and attempt to pick another queen, then we could use this." With a flourish of his unfurling wings, he let Blister see the thin satchel attached to his side. With a delicate claw, he plucked a scroll from inside its protected depths and held it out, his black talons curled loosely around its smooth surface.

Blister carefully took it, her black eyes devoid of emotion. She unfurled it, letting the words written in a careful claw be exposed to the air. She read it aloud, keeping her voice blank.

"And from the cold, a bursting star

The wings of ice come from afar."

She stopped, winding the scroll back up with a flick of her claws. "I'm afraid I don't understand." Her voice was covered in layers of suspicion. "What good could another scheming dragonet do for us?"

Morrowseer looked put out. He sighed, accepting the scroll back from Blister and tucking it in his bag. "Don't you see? This dragon will save the prophecy if the others try to say others!"

"I do not see it. They will simply be exactly like others, trying to choose one of my idiotic sisters for the throne."

"AH!" Exclaimed Morrowseer. "Now I understand! You think that this dragonet will be raised with the others! But no. They will be raised separately, having only the knowledge and wisdom of Blister available to them. They won't be able to choose any others, for they will know no others."

Blister smiled. It was slow, but horrible; like poison spreading over her lips. It conveyed all of their plans for their - her - future.

"Agreed." She hissed out.