I

Zosia March was over the moon.
Surgery with Jac Naylor was something all young doctors fantasised about; watching her skill and agility with a scalpel, her nifty fingers fixing broken hearts.
Her ice-cold wit, the quips over the operating table and her scary yet somewhat incredible teaching was something else. Out of this world. Any junior doctors dream, because she made them succeed.
And here she was, Doctor March, stood opposite the consultant looking over a anaesthetised patient.
She waited for Jac to pick up the scalpel and begin, but was surprised that after a few seconds she hadn't. She looked in confusion at the woman, who simply leant her head towards the sterile tray.
"You lead, it'll do your portfolio good."
The younger doctor nodded vigorously, her dark eyes shining as she looked at the consultant, and opened her hand for the theatre nurse, who passed her the metal instrument.
Zosia inspected the point, a hidden smile gracing her face under the blue mask. She lowered the cool blade to the bare, sterilised skin of the patient and made a neat incision. She then took the bone drill and cut his ribs, allowing them access to his chest cavity.
It was near the only profession where one saw the inside of the thorax, and it amazed the junior. It was astounding how complex and clever the human body was, yet how easily the system could malfunction. It was a delicate and highly intricate version of a mechanic's work.
Jac watched the brunette like a hawk. Not in fear of mistakes and slip-ups with the patient, more because she was interested. Zosia wasn't like every other F1. The difference was that she was entirely in awe of the human body- she wanted to understand it, to see it and fix it. She wasn't a do-gooder, the kind of doctor Jac would happily get rid of- if it wasn't for the fact that the NHS barely had enough doctors as it was. The girl was there because she believed in science and she wanted to be a part of it. A front-line scientist as such.
Jac saw a lot of herself in the girl, but didn't care to admit it. The way she was so determined, and her sharp tongue.
Zosia passed the drill back to the nurse and the two doctors swapped sides of the table, allowing for Ms Naylor to continue the procedure.
An hour or so later and the two women where scrubbing their hands in the metal sink, ready to leave theatre. The patient was stable and in recovery, the procedure having gone without a hitch.
"You're not bad, Dr March." Jac spoke with a small nod of her head. The redhead had stayed facing directly forward, never showing more emotion than necessary.
Zosia smiled to herself and looked at the side of the consultant's face, "thank you."