Chapter Seven: Part One

Awkward doesn't even cover half of what I feel right now. I think a little irritation is thrown in the mix because we were interrupted and there's embarrassment. There's a whole pot of emotions brewing in me. Stupid soul being entwined. Stupid Alexander killing Nic in the first place. Stupid universe. "You hear that, Universe? I'm cursing you!" I shake my fist at the sky. "Um...What?" Maia asks. I quickly cover my mouth, realizing I said that aloud. "Are you alright?" Kyle smiles at me. Nic even wears an amused look. I try to regain some dignity. "I'm fine. Just reminding the universe whose boss." "Sure." Maia goes back to the conversation she was having with Gabriel. I sigh as I move my foot in circles in the water. "You sure you're OK?" Nic leans over to me. I instantly still as always. Nodding seems like too much of a task, but it's a lot better than the sound of my voice giving me away. "Good." It sounds like Nic is smiling. When I look at him, he's giving me a very attractive smile with a dimple. I smile in return. "You still have a dimple." He frowns slightly. "Was it supposed to go away?" Whoops! I definitely need my brain to get a handle on my mouth ASAP! "Of course not." I chuckle and look away. Something between us has changed when we were caught. He seems different. He seems more open to me. Could it be he's starting to remember me? I look at him from the corner of my eyes. Is it possible? "I swear to God, Kyle if you try to splash me, I will drown you! This isn't a pool so stop it!" Maia growls. I smile while everyone Gabriel and Nic laugh at Kyle’s frightened expression. "I'm going to see if there's any snacks inside. Anyone want anything?" I dust my butt off.

"I want you to come back with a bathing suit." Maia narrows her eyes. "Anyone else have anything realistic they want?" Maia cries out with fake rage. I wiggle my fingers at her. "I'll go with. Hopefully I can find-" "What did you do to your pants?" Kyle hollers. Nic rolls his eyes and mouths 'I told you'. I cover my mouth to keep from laughing. "Don't start, Kyle." "Well, how am I supposed to react?" "Like a decent, normal human being." "That's no fun!" He whines. Nic waves him off. "Let's go." His hand is on my elbow guiding me to the lodge. I feel robotic as I walk beside him. "You know, it wouldn't hurt if you decided to put on a swim suit." Nic teases. I blush and avoid looking at him. "I'm just saying there won't be any complaints." His voice is low. Oh. My. God. Who is this person? "I'll keep that in mind." My voice sounds more confident than I feel, thankfully. "Oh?" He raises a brow. "Who knows, maybe I don't even need a bathing suit." I smile back at him as I go in. He it takes him a moment to get over his stunned moment before he follows after me. "What's that supposed to me?" He asks. I pretend to not to hear him as I walk up the front desk. "Hello." I smile. It's a nice looking older woman. She has her silver hair braided down her back. Her demeanor reminds me of Marla. I feel the ache of missing her. "Hello. Can I help you?" The woman smiles warmly. "I was wondering if you guys had any snacks?" "Actually..." She looks around like she's trying to be secretive before going under the desk to retrieve a little fabric bag.

"Don't tell anyone, but you're supposed to get complimentary goodies, but they have all my favorites." She winks. I crack up laughing as I grab the pouch from her. She shushes me wildly. "It's a secret!" I try to calm down, but it's so hilarious. "I-I'm sorry." I stutter. "She'll keep your secret. Do you have a washing machine I could use?" Nic steps in. I hold my sides as my stomach begins to hurt from laughing for so long and for so hard. "Down the hall on the right." She points the way. "Thank you." He starts pushing me in the direction. "It wasn't that funny." He chuckles. "Like hay it wasn't! Did you not see her face when she said it? I think she was serious!" He opens the laundry room's door and shakes his head at me. I walk in without thinking. He walks over to the machine to read the directions. After sobering up, I look into my baggie. It has mini chocolate bars, cookies, candies, and basically an impending cavity. I pull the package of cookies out and put the rest in my pocket. "Did you want me to give you some privacy?" I munch on a cookie. "Actually, I need your help. This is confusing." He blushes. I smile and walk over to him. "Have you not washed clothes before?" "Not exactly." "Not exactly? It's either yes or no." I poke him. He huffs. "No." "Hold these." I hand him my cookies and dust my hands off. "Empty your pockets." I command as I go around looking for the detergent. "Aye aye, Miss Bossy Pants." "I'm sorry, did you want to do your own laundry?" I look back at him.