Kara, Just Kara

Alex is driving her motorcycle as fast as possible, National City Traffic Ordinance – and her own safety – be damned. She has run two red lights and is about to run the third. "Update, Winn!" she demands, again.

"Coming! I'm typing as fast as I can ... here it is." He brings up the video from before the phone was turned on. "Kara stepped out of a whirly vortex, like the one at Thanksgiving, seconds before she turned her phone on. She put something on the table, something shiny, ... I can't see what. Then the other woman appeared out of thin air."

"OK." Alex answers curtly, then brings her motorbike to an abrupt stop on the sidewalk outside Kara's apartment and storms up the stairs. She stops at the door. "Door is untouched, tamper detection still in place. Update?" Winn answers in the negative, so she kicks the door in. She has a key for her sister's apartment, but it's in her locker with her civilian clothes, and now is not a time for finesse. Kara is still on the floor where she fell.

Alex lets her first aid training take over. "Pulse is strong ... she's breathing ... eyes not dilated ... no visible injuries. She looks fine!" She props Kara up against the couch and holds her hands. "Winn ...!" she starts.

Winn tries to sound calm. "Med-evac is on the way, but even with sirens and lights, they can only go so fast. I also called off the police, someone was driving very recklessly."

Kara moans and starts to move. Alex grabs her hands even firmer. "Easy, Kara, I'm here."

"A..Alex? What happened? Did I faint?" Kara looks at Alex, squinting. "Where are my glasses?"

"Your glasses?"

"Yes, Alex, you know I can't see anything without my glasses!" Kara starts feeling the floor around her, so Alex finds the glasses where Kara had fallen and hands them over.

"Phew. I hate not being able to see! Oh, Alex, what happened to my door? Was it a burglar?"

Alex's mind is working on overdrive. Something's wrong, so there are two approaches – challenge it or play along to figure out more. Right now, she has nothing, so playing along seems the safer bet.

"We, ... don't know. It might have been a burglary, we are still investigating. Where have you been, Kara?"

"Been?" Kara looks perplexed.

"Yes, where have you been the last three days?"

"But Alex, you know I've been right here, in bed, being sick. You visited me every day and brought me food. I was so happy that I was finally well enough to go back to work, and now I've been ... burglarized and assaulted?"

Alex pulls Kara in for a hug, stroking her head softly. "Don't worry, we'll figure out what's happening. We'll get you to medical and make sure you are OK."

"Thanks Alex, it means a lot to me. Are you sure you won't get in trouble for using FBI resources on a simple burglary?"

Play along, Alex, play along! "Quite sure. Nothing is more important to us than you."

"Pfft, nah, that's just something you're saying. I'm just a wannabe reporter, not a big bad FBI agent like you!"

When the ambulance arrives, Kara is standing again, only a little uneasy on her legs. Alex instructs the paramedics to say as little as possible, and that she'll be driving in the back with Kara. She evidence-bags the odd brooch Winn had described and follows them down.

At the DEO base, Kara is guided into the medical wing, with Alex following her all the way.

"I'm going to have our best doctor give you a full checkup, just to make sure nothing is wrong. Don't worry, I'll be right next door. Just switch to this hospital shirt and relax. Afterward we'll see if you can remember something about what happened."