Battle Royale

"The beast who kills is the beast who cries out for help. The beast who kills is the beast who no longer knows the limitation of man and has accepted the fate it has been given." ~Henry Fogg; Dean of Brakebills

My mind was running astray for I no longer held the concentration to focus on the impending battle, my eyes closed as I heard my friends speaking about the spells they had prepared for the Beast.

But even I knew, we had no real magic to fight this... this THING it was something that defied logic, it killed two of our classmates already. It tried to kill our headmaster and it did kill the Elliot... 

How could something so cruel exist. how could something so truly and purely deceitful come into existence. Many cried to their god why but I merely questioned the existence of a being who would allow the creation of such a creature that could destroy the lives of so many. But I shrugged, I would kill this being soon if I had anything to do with it.

I stood earning the glances of the remaining few who had managed to survive the trials set before us. Alice, Jade, Julia, Penny, and Margo, each of them at the ready with glowing red amulets nestled against their chests as we prepared for the final fight against the hell-raiser known as the Beast.

"Quentin... Are you sure we are ready? I want to kill this son of a bitch for Elliot but are you sure we can handle this by ourselves?" Margo stood her eyes showing doubt but the anger behind them showing her readiness for the impending battle. I couldn't answer for a moment though, my own dirty blonde hair hiding the green orbs of doubt that might have given any fear to the rest.

"Marg... We can do anything if we put our minds to it nothing with stop up if we just push forth and kill this bastard before he eradicates everything else. Brakebills, earth, our families. We must do what we have too." My voice was laced with confidence but my mind was going through every possible death scenario that could possibly happen to us. 

You may think me morbid, but this beast... This creature was unlike anything you have ever seen and something you will wish you had never heard of.

But soon our time was up, a singular moth announced his arrival as he stepped into his own field where we had poisoned his magical pool of what was known as "Wild Energy". The moment he stepped in however he yanked himself back out hissing in detest, soon his empty sockets found our position as though he smelled us.

"Oh Quentin, what a fun approach you took this time around. That was indeed new I would have never expected you would come in so close to kill me this time around." His left hand made a singular motion, and that was it the sickening sound of bone crunching and flesh tearing from its designed positioning.

There sat Julia laying in a puddle of blood but we had no time to mourn, Penny had already sent out a spell sending the Beast flying into the pool of his own poisoned energy. But it is like time slowed for the monstrosity as he gave us the one sight of hs smile, then once more the sound of tearing pulsed through the air.

My green orbs turned to look into the frightened blue hues of my lover Alice, there she sat silently while her own stomach was being yanked free from its hold and out of her own mouth. Margo let out a yell and tears streamed down her face as she sent out blast after blast of attack magic, the red amulet itself burning her very flesh as she over extended its usage.

"How amusing." The Beast still floated over his own demise but not an ounce of fear came off him because he knew he would never land at the speed he was falling at. "Erase."

No hand symbol just a singular word and Penny was gone; his entire body gone as he himself turned to mere ash and the only sound of a lingering scream came forth. 

I had failed them, I had led them to their own graves in the most brutal and cataphoric way possible and the Beast had made me watch. I had frozen up, not a single spell had left me because fear had grabbed me by the throat and made me its personal bitch.

"Goodbye Quentin. You once again for the 15th time. Failed to truly harm me in anyway possible." The demon before me simply chuckled and then fire ripped through my very veins as though he had poisoned my bloodstream from my own heart. Then, nothing I was gone into an abyss.

||~||

A gasp roared through me as I sat up, sweat drenching my pillow as I looked around a dingy little apartment building. A small book sitting on my nightstand with the image of Fillory,  land where some say a monster lived. But that was just a story.

I was just a normal college student the likelihood of me ever being someone like the characters in Fillory was nearly impossible. But people could dream of course.