5

"Good god, Marinette Dupain-Cheng!" Alya exclaimed, her arms wide open as she rushed towards me of a length of at least twenty footsteps when I walked into school nearly three days after the accident. Classes have been on for about two or three weeks now. As she reached me, she brought me into a tight, crushing embrace and added, "You could've died! I knew something was off that day."

"I should have listened to your magical foretelling head then," I said, giggling. I missed this girl.

"Well, I don't know why you wouldn't," she said indignantly. She crossed her arms for a moment, eyebrows raised and eyelids shut. Unable to keep her façade, she held out a laugh and placed her hand on my shoulder, "Missed you."

"Okay, before we get cheesy, let me get my stuff first." I rolled my eyes and removed the cashmere blazer I had on. It was definitely more chilly than I had expected.

Luckily, no one transferred into my school when I was gone, so I had my original locker back to myself. It still looked like the same way as I had left it — floral decorative paper in the inner door panel, a few of my old books and some unworn clothes. What bothered me the most were the ugly torn pieces from the floral paper, like someone ripped off something pasted on it. Perhaps someone must've guessed my passcode, and snatched the photos I had here. I couldn't even remember clearly what those photos were.

I grabbed a hanger from the inside and slid in my blazer.

"You can get the books later," Alya said, noticing how fast the time has gone since she almost tackled me down in the corridor. "We should go get your schedule first. I'll have them get you one with the same lunch periods as I do."

I raised an eyebrow, "And just how do you think you could actually manage to do that?"

"Ah, well, you're looking at Miss Student Body President, darling." She winked . Just as how she dreamed she would be. "Now let's get your musical ass back on a roll."

Everyone seemed to be well-aware of the plane crash. I must have had at least twenty people come over to my seat to ask how I was doing. Rose passed by and handed me a daisy cheer me up, meanwhile Max asked if I had that dying feeling where my whole life flashed right before my eyes.

My teachers also extended me the same pitiful questionings, welcomed me back, then told me that I could just take my time to catch up with the lessons and activities.

The first day was less of a whirlwind as I expected. I saw the same faces, greeted the same people, and hung out with just the same Alya. I had a few new classes, but it was basically all just the same. Queerly the same.

"So tell me more about New York, Mari," Alya said, taking a seat beside me at the cafeteria. Rose and Juleka sat down on our table as well.

"Yeah, tell us!" Rose's eyes glimmered. "Were there any cute boys"

"Did you go to an all-American all-out party?" Juleka asked as well.

I shrugged, "It was a formal music school. We barely had a wild party."

Recalling all the people in my class, I quickly added, "And nope. No cute boys... Well, that cello dude seemed pretty cute, but he wasn't into girls."

"No way!" Alya exclaimed. "Do you have a photo?"
I handed her my phone.

"Zut! The female population is unlucky," she said with a deep sigh.

As quiet as I could, I whispered, "Well, there was this other... guy."

Then, all ears were on me. Rose propped her head up with her elbows on the table, and Alya seemed like she was ready to hear the biggest scoop in the whole wide world.

"I met him on the plane," I said, my dreamy eyes recalling his face. That smile. That unmistakable smile.

"And, and?" Rose's smile grew wider.

"That's it. That's all there is." I shrugged. "I never got the chance to ask his name."

"W-why?!" Alya groaned. "What was he like? Give me the 411."

"He was wearing a beanie, so I couldn't figure out his hair color. His eyebrows seemed to be sandy, so I would assume his hair is somewhat golden."

"And?"

"Oh, he has this breathtaking smile," I said, drifting off to another memory of him. His smile seemed to light up the room like a 100-watt light bulb.

Chartreuse eyes, sneaky and innocent. Everything about him seemed too interesting. Like he was a mystery that I have long been dying to know— a nameless answer that I have been searching for.

"Girl, you got it bad," Alya said with a straight face.

"I can't... I mean, I don't even know the guy!" I retorted.

Looking aside, I mumbled, "I don't even have the slightest clue on how to find him. If I had just asked his name."

I threw my head back with a sigh. This was completely illogical. I shouldn't go about swooning about guys I just met. I mean, I'm a seventeen-year-old woman! I should know better.

"Cheer up, Mari!" Rose said with a huge smile. "I got an idea! Why don't we head to the mall after school? You just got back, and we have to celebrate!"

Come to think of it, going out sounded like the perfect distraction from my memories of Sunshine Boy that are eating me alive. And I think I need more clothes.

"Count me in," Juleka exclaimed. "I'll be out by three this afternoon."

"Ditto!" Alya added.

I shrugged, "I guess I'm in, too."

"Goodie!" Rose clasped her hands together. "I'll meet you all up front at around 3:15?"

We all nodded, and the fifth period bell rang in sync. Juleka and Rose picked up their bags and trays, said, "See you later!", and went off. Alya and I were the last ones to get out of the cafeteria, since being Student Body President had awfully a lot of perks when it comes to the Literature teachers.