Chapter 4

Mitch didn't think it was possible for Rupert to be more irritating than he already was.

Rupert had been asking him questions ever since they left the police department.

This was how their conversation had been going since noon

"Why can I not go with you?"

"Because she doesn't even know you, you weren't there in the office"

"Its because I was too busy trying to talk to Mr. Jerk out there"

"Yeah exactly so you didn't talk to her, she agreed to meet me"

"But she agreed to meet you just to help you with the article"

Rupert was starting to get on Mitch's nerves now, it took every ounce of will power to not punch Rupert in the face and tell him to shut up. He took a deep breath and explained

"Grant you do realize that we aren't actually journalists who want to write some science article, we want to find information about Shaikh"

"Yes Rapp I know that which is why I want to come with you" Rupert exclaimed

"Why don't you understand?! I am going to ask her questions about Shaikh, she never spoke to you so she might not be comfortable in answering it in front of you okay!!" Mitch yelled

Rupert became silent. After a minute he murmured quietly "somebody wants the girl all to himself"

Mitch snapped his head at Rupert and asked with a edgy tone "What did you just say?!"

Rupert who didn't expect Mitch to hear it widened his eyes before justifying himself "Nothing, I didn't say anything"

"I heard what you said Grant"

Rupert decided to just tell the fellow agent what was on his mind "Is this some kind of a date? I mean she just gave you her number and agreed to meet you in the evening?"

Mitch just stared at him as if he grew three heads "we are on a mission here to find leads on a terrorist organization and you're thinking I'm going on a date? Are you for real right now?"

Rupert raised his hands in surrender and said "Okay okay you're just extracting information from her but I just want to say one thing"

Mitch asked with the same edgy tone "And what's that?"

"Just don't develop any personal feelings in this mission Rapp"

Mitch looked down at his files before saying in a soft tone "This is all just part of the mission and nothing else"

ISTANBUL UNIVERSITY

Mitch was sitting on a bench outside the Science Building of Istanbul University waiting for Aayat. He had his questions planned out and made a strategy of how he was going to ask her. He didn't want to be too obvious and raise any suspicion so he needed to be careful around her.

Aayat came out of the building and spotted Mitch. She walked towards him and greeted him with a smile "Hi Mr. Williams! Nice to see you"

"Please call me Asher" Mitch said

They both sat down back at the bench and Mitch first started asking about his supposedly article

"So Aayat how do you and Mr.Shaikh conduct your investigations?" Mitch asked

Aayat pulled out some papers from her bag and gave it to him.

"These are all the basic steps to our investigations which I thought would help you with your article" Aayat explained

She continued "We go to the crime scene and look for the basics you know like finger prints, DNA samples, just your everyday investigation ways. It depends on what kind of case it is. Whether it is a murder case, accident case, robbery and several other cases"

Mitch pretended to be interested in her explanation while occasionally nodding his head as a gesture that he is listening and skimming through the papers she just gave him.

He wrote some notes on what she was saying so that it seemed legit. He also noticed how passionately she was talking about it. Her hand gestures, all over the place as she was trying to prove her point. The way her facial expressions would try to convey her message, her eyes would squint or sometimes go wide as she was explaining one of the murder cases she investigated.

Mitch wasn't even listening to her anymore, he was just watching her, observing her until Aayat snapped her fingers in front of his eyes and asked "Hello! Are you even listening to me Asher?"

Mitch snapped out of his gaze and said "Yeah yeah please go on"

Aayat gave an apologetic face and said "I am boring you aren't I"

Mitch politely said "No no, not at all"

Aayat started packing her bag, Mitch widened his eyes and asked "Woah where are you going?"

Aayat looked at him and answered "Come on, I've already told you a lot about my cases and gave these papers with information. That's enough info for one night. Lets take a walk and get something to eat. I'm starving"

Mitch realized that he didn't even ask her anything about Shaikh, he got too distracted to even get the main work done, the work for which he suggested meeting her here in the first place

"Wait wait just few more questions. Some questions out of curiosity" Mitch asked trying to get her to sit down

Aayat whined a bit and said "We don't have to get the job done in one night Asher, we can continue this tomorrow as well"

Mitch tried persuading her "Please Aayat just few more questions and we can go"

Aayat finally gave in and sat down "Okay what"

Mitch sighed in relief and asked "So how long have you been working with Mr. Shaikh"

"For a year now" she replied

"So is he always this grumpy?" he asked

"Not always, sometimes he has his bad days" she replied

"Huh, he seems like a guy who doesn't really have a lot of friends" Mitch said, trying to get some info on who he meets

Aayat said "Yeah kind of, but he does have few friends. He meets them at the park when he takes his dog out for a walk"

"Really he's a nature guy?" Mitch asked again

"No he isn't, he just likes walking his dog. He usually goes to Emirgan Korusu at night to walk his dog" she said

There's some info Mitch thought. He and Rupert could follow him to that park and see what he is up to and whom he meets. Aayat, who was now getting frustrated interrupted his thoughts.

"I thought you wanted to ask about the investigation but you're asking about my boss. Gosh can we go now I'm starving" Aayat said standing up

He couldn't push his luck more; he gave in and stood up deciding to go for a walk with her.