Willow Mellark

"Willow Mellark!" The name rang out through the square, once a place of rubble, but rebuilt by the people of District 12.

It was my fault. It was all my fault. I killed Snow instead of Coin. I made the stupid decision of killing a man I knew was already dying, I killed him instead of the woman who wanted to continue the Games.

It was once only Capitol children but after the the uprising of 12 we were once again punished with the Games. All of us. Being a Victor means nothing anymore, we are all regular citizens now.

Haymitch and Effie finally settled down and had a beautiful baby girl. She went in the Games alongside my son, they both took the easy way out like Peeta and I threatened to do all those years ago. They weren't star-crossed lovers, they didn't have to die together, but they were like family....and family sticks together.

Peeta suffered through so many years of nightmares and uncontrollable moments of anger. He hurt me once by accident and couldn't stand to live any longer knowing he would do it again. He did it when I was away visiting my mother in 2, I came home to a note and paramedics taking his lifeless body away. Its been almost three years since then.

But now my daughter, the one ray of light left in my life is being taken away from me.

"Come on up!" The escort shrieks into the microphone.

Willow, still so small and innocent, Only the age of 12, reminds me of Prim. I have tried each and every day to forget my sister, but every day I see Willow. She slowly walks up to the stage and stands next to the escort.

She stands staring at her feet, not even daring to look up at me. The escort calls the boys name, with tradition the tributes shake hands and are rushed inside the Justice Building.

I push past all the other parents and children trying to get to my own. I burst through the door and hug Willow tightly.

"Mom...." She hugs me tightly and I feel the warm tears fall from my eyes. "I'm so sorry...it's my fault."

"No....it's my fault. All my fault. All of this would be different if it weren't for me."

"No." She shakes her head. "I'll try to win....for you."

"No. Not for me, for you. Fight for you."

She pulls away. Her face shows no emotion, but her eyes, her eyes show pain that I desperately wish I could take it away. "But I don't want to hurt anyone. I don't want to be a piece in their Games."

Peeta. Peeta said that to me the night before we went into the Games. Before we won. Before I fell in love with him. Before I knew who Peeta really was. Before I ruined everyone's life.

The peacekeepers enter the room and take her by the arms, pulling her out into the hallway. There's so many things I didn't tell her, my goodbye still hanging on my lips.

I find my way home, I sit down trying not to let my emotions spill out. But if no one is here why should I stay strong? As if my body was answering for me I feel tears slipping down my cheeks.

My little Willow, named after the song that my mother frowned upon me from singing. Though I would sing it to Prim when she was scared, it was calming to both of us. My little Willow that would try to comfort me when I had nightmares even though it made her cry. I might never see her again. I may have to watch my little girl die in the arena, a place I promised her I would protect her from.

The door opens with a small creak, I quickly dry my eyes and stand to greet whoever walked in ever so rudely.

Effie. She actually looks normal without her makeup and Capitol attire, beautiful actually. Her long blonde hair falls past her shoulders. My eyes fall to her stomach, a small bump that I choose not to question at the moment. They fall even further to her feet, without her ridiculous heels she's quite short. She's a completely different woman from when I first met her acquaintance.

"Katniss, darling, are you alright? We came as soon as we heard." But she still has her accent.

I nod in response.

Then there's Haymitch, he's always been here. Practically the same man, only not a drunken mess. His stubble and hair are streaked with grey but he seems unchanged other than that. He pulls me into a tight hug.

"It'll be okay kid." He says before patting me on the back and releasing me.

Effie hugs me daintily and gives me a sad smile. "Katniss, darling, are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine!" I snap back at her.

Her lip quivers. "I'll just go." She turns on her heels and quickly walks outside.

Haymitch holds back a laugh and glances towards the door then back at me. "You could at least try to be nice, you know."

I scoff. "Really? Really?! You expect me to be nice after my daughter was just reaped?!"

"Hey, I never said this was going to be easy. You've been through this before."

"But I had Peeta! Peeta was here to help me through this! I dont have him anymore! WHEN SHE DIES I'LL HAVE NO ONE LEFT!"

He raises his voice. "Look, you could at least have the decency to act nice until we left. Then you could've done whatever the hell you wanted."

He's right. He's always right, and I hate him for it. But I didn't want them here. The only person I want with me right now is Willow. And I would have been her mentor, but no one is considered a Victor anymore, so she has to train herself. I just want everyone to leave. To leave me alone. To leave me to die because I have no one to live for anymore. Willow doesn't have a chance.

"I didn't ask for you two to come here." I say quietly, tears forming in the corner of my eyes.

"Then we'll leave." He shoots me a glare and leaves.