chapter 5//

"I promised myself I wouldn't let you complete me"

★★★

I finished up tying my hair into a loose bun on Michael's tan couch as I hear faint footsteps behind me coming from the stairs. I turn around in time to see a tired Michael walking towards me with a heap of warm cozy blankets and pillows in his arms. He stayed quiet as he threw the pile messily beside me as he made his way into the kitchen, searching for snacks for the both of us. The silence grew as I watched him rummage through cabinets.

I noticed he changed out of his jeans and into a more casual set of sleeping clothes when he returned back with a small pack of Maynard's. I reached forward to the tan coffee table to grab his laptop he had brought earlier and signed in to Netflix. Still, it was quiet. None of us had really said a word after that, but I didn't think that there was anything to say. It wasn't exactly my buisness.

I placed the macbook carefully onto both of our legs and it balanced right between my right leg and his left.

"Um so, what are we watching today? 21 jump street? 22? The notebook even?" I joked trying to lighten the mood.

"Sure" He replied. "Just pick whatever"
After scrolling through the choices for a few moments, we ended up with 22 jump street. I chuckled at a funny scene when I looked over to Michael. He had still stayed silent, but the corners of his mouth has slightly turned. He was slowly opening up again. I turned back to the screen when I felt him lean his head upon my shoulder, just like in the park.
My heart leaped at the small gesture and I felt like I was gonna explode. My heart felt as if it was being squeezed with a hand- like when your watching a movie and the guy and the girl finally end up together, and although it was a predictable plot line, it was sweet, heart melting, and fun. I felt my mouth tug up into a smile. I was trying to let it show, but I didn't want to let this feeling go.

I sank back into the couch and leaned into him, feeling my eyes slowly close.

★ ★ ★

white sheets, bright lights

That was the first thing I noticed when I sleepily awoke to a blazing light coming from the window near the front door as I found myself in the same spot as I was last night, in a heap of heavy blanche blankets beside a dozing boy leaning on me. His head was turned towards me, and as he shifted in his sleep I felt his lips brush against my skin. My heart jumped at the feeling. Crap.

I then realized- is this how it was always going to be? Every time I'm with him, will it always come down to her? It's not like they weren't together anymore, they still were. They'd be back to their cheesy selves eventually. Will i just be the back up? The second?
The thought made me tense up.
He's most definitely changed. What happened to us?

I felt around my legs under the blankets in search for my phone carefully trying not to wake him up. I pressed the power button lightly and the iPhone screen lit up to show the lock screen showing that it was already 10:30 in the morning. The wallpaper showed the picture of Mikey and I the day we had just coloured our hair, and I smiled remembering each memory for it was only yesterday.

I turned my head to look at the sleeping boy. I gazed at my best friend. His hair was a mess, snoring softly. I sighed as memories from previous night flooded my head as I tried to wriggle out of his grip without waking him.

I tiptoed quietly upstairs to him room, turning the doorknob and opening the door and entered, like I have most of my life. This place was like a second home. Taking in the familiar smell I started towards his ebony closet grabbing the closest jacket I could reach, and it turned out to be a black denim jacket.

Meet at Rosa's at 12.
- a

Leaving a quick post-it note on Mikey's forehead writing about my whereabouts and where to meet me when he woke up, I slipped on my shoes and headed out the door and started walking.

★ ★ ★

Before walking straight to the place I was meeting Mikey at, Rosa's, I decided to take a short walk around the block knowing I had time to spare before meeting up with Michael- it would be a while until he'd get his lazy ass up.
I stuffed my hands in the sizeable jacket pockets, shivering a bit. The jacket lingered with his familiar scent, oddly of what I figured was forest leaves or sandalwood. It was like walking into a vintage shop or a library and the smell of books hitting your nose. Weird.

The wind had picked up and it was starting to get colder and colder, a sign that winter was soon to come. My thick hair started to fly around in my face thanks to the sudden hush of air. In faint annoyance I pushed it away, quickly placing it tidily behind my shoulders. I looked up to the mahogany-brown leaves swishing around the thin tree branches as it seemed that a certain leaf had sprung free and the wind led it right to me and stopped to my shoulder. I lightly plucked it from my arm and twirled it between my fingers mindlessly.

"Are you not cold?" I heard a familiar voice speak. I looked up to see a smiling Luke standing before me. Gus chestnut blonde was a cute curly mess. The dirty blend of light brown-blonde stood out against his dark clothes. His eyes twinkled a bit as he slightly looked down at me. He was so damn tall.
I returned the grin, walking up to hug him.
"Hey Luke"
"You didn't answer my question" He replied with a straight face.
"..Huh?"
"Are you not cold" he repeated and rolled his eyes putting his hands into his bomber jacket pockets. It was clear that he was.
"Nice to see you too Luke" I joked feelings my lips turning up. "It's not that cold- at least not yet. It will be if I don't get going soon. I haven't had any breakfast yet and I'm meeting up with Mike at Rosa's. You wanna join or you got plans?" I shared. He smirked a bit, giving me a knowing wink since he recently found out I had the tiniest feelings for Mikey. But stopped short after giving him a look.
"No, sure I'm free to go" his smile brightened.
We started walking towards the café.