Path of Destruction

Just to let ya'll know, I publish absolutely everything on Ao3 first. So there is a lot more to read on there, and there always will be. My update schedule should be every day! Welcome!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

"EXCUSE ME?!?" shouted Undyne at the little skeleton standing before her. He was looking her right in the eye, a lazy smile plastered on his face, hands shoved in his blue hoodie's pockets. He was swaying slightly, and his white eyelights were hazy.

"I said..." he stopped for a second, seemingly having forgotten what he was going to say. Undyne growled in frustration. The fucker was either blazed or wasted, but either way he seemed basically useless. How he managed to keep Papyrus from noticing when he was like this, she would never understand. Although it probably helped that plastered Sans wasn't an altogether different person than sober Sans. Less angry, maybe. Definitely less controlled.

He finally seemed to remember how a brain worked. "I said that it doesn't really matter. Don't worry about it."

Undyne just stared at him for a moment. "I tell you that something is carving a fucking path of death through the Underground and your response is to tell me 'Don't worry about it?'"

He just stared at her for another moment before he gave half a shrug and said, "Yeah, pretty much. It doesn't matter."

Undyne glared at him. "Monsters are dying, Sans, and your job is to look into this shit! How doesn't that matter?" She was getting louder, almost screaming at him. She looked at this sorry excuse for a monster standing in front of her, not even having the decency to look nervous at her obvious rage, and did her best to stop herself from losing what cool she had left. Occupied thus, it took her a moment to realize that he was actually laughing.

"What the hell are you laughing at?" she yelled.

"Monsters are dying, Sans!" he mocked in a high-pitched rendition of her voice. "Monsters are dying, and you have to help us! Oh, please help us, oh powerful one, we just know you can do it!"

She just stared at him. She had never seen him talk like this before. Mocking was basically the only way he knew how to talk, but this was bordering on hysteria. He kept going in that mocking tone, repeating himself and he and what sounded like Papyrus until she finally shouted "STOP!!!"

He fell silent, swaying again and glaring at her. His easy confident was gone, the smile had fallen from his face.

"Is that what this is about, you useless asshole?" She was still shouting and she didn't know how to stop. "'It doesn't matter', 'you have to help us'" She repeated his words, not bothering to be mocking of his deeper tones. She felt the last of her control snap and she said "You killed some human children for the greater fucking good of the entirety of monsterkind and it's just now getting to you?

She regretted it the moment it came out of her mouth, especially when she felt his magic flare up and saw his eyelights disappear. She had only seen him this angry a couple of times, and it had always been something to behold. Not that she was scared. She reserved that right for things that could actually kill her.

Okay, maybe she was a little scared.

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about" he growled. She could feel his magic flaring, could see it sparking in his hands. He seemed to be trying to rein himself in, and she was one of maybe a handful of people who know exactly what sort of state she would be in if he couldn't.

And yet she couldn't seem to make herself stop. "You need to stop wallowing in self-pity and do your fucking job !" she yelled.

Somewhat to her surprise, Sans didn't immediately turn her into a smoking pile of dust. Instead, he just looked at her for a moment before he extinguished his magic. He walked over to the door, wrenching it open and standing aside. His next words were dangerously quiet. "Get the hell out of my house"