Wiped Out

Back at the clinic, Sam had greeted us with the usual smile of unsure-ity and waited to Mark to leave the room. "Did you get to a phone?" He asked.

"They had the road blocked," Dean stated.

"What's going on out there?"

"We've been asking the same question ever since we saw the telegraph pole," I explained.

"I feel like Chuck Heston in 'The Omega Man'. Sarge is the only sane person we could find out there," Dean explained. "Do you know what we're dealing with yet?"

Sammy nodded, "Doc think it's a virus. The infected are trying to infect others with blood-to-blood contact. Oh, it gets better! The virus? Leaves traces of sulfer in the blood."

Dean looked confused, "a demonic virus?"

"More like demonic germ warfare," I corrected. "At least I know why I had those visions."

"It's like a biblical plague."

"You don't know how right you are, Dean," Sam said to him. "I've been poring through Dad's journal." We still have that thing? "Found something about Roanoke. Dad always had a theory about Croatoan. He thought it was a demons name. Sometimes known as Deva or Reesha. A demon of plague and pestilence."

"That's terrific, Sam. But why here, why now?" I asked, my tone dripping with curiosity and sarcasm. One of my many talents.

"I don't know. Who knows how far this thing can spread? We gotta get outta here, we gotta warn people."

"They got one! In here!" Mark called. This guy is so friggin' driven, he can drive an invisible car and still make it look like an everyday occurrence.

Dean took off into the next room. Sam followed after telling me to stay here. Well... Not like I can go for a walk. Or sleep. Not like I'm gonna watch you kill an innocent woman like an animal either. After some dicking around, a few clicks, and a scream, someone fired a gun.

-------------------

About an hour later, I was sitting in the lab. Knife in my left hand, I almost wanted to try and throw it at the lock that was on a cabinet. Everyone else was occupied, doing something that didn't involve rage. All eyes shifted to Pam who screamed as she dropped a vial of blood. "Oh, God! Is there any on me?! Am I okay?!" She yelled in panic.

Dr Lee rushed over to spot her. "You're good. You're okay."

Pam sighed, "why are we staying here? Please! Let's just go!"

"No, we can't," Dean explained. "Because those things are everywhere."

Sam leaned over to Dean while Dr Lee and Pam talked about the blood sample and I flung my five inch blade around. "She's right about one thing," Sam said quietly. "We can't stay here. We gotta get outta here, get to the Roadhouse? Somewhere. Let people know what's coming."

I clicked my tongue and threw the knife up. "You're right. 'Night of the Living Dead' didn't exactly end pretty."

Dean pointed at me, "I never should've let you watch that."

"Hey! Careful flinging that thing around!" Sam told me. I sighed and attached it back to a holder in my boot.

Mark bought us back to the situation at hand, "well, I'm not sure we have a choice. Lots of folks up here are good with rifles." So they could've found a way to get into our arsenal. Why did we even park the car along Main? "Even with all your hardware we're easy targets. So unless you've got some explosives..."

We watched Sam get up and reach for a glass bottle on top of a cabinet. Potassium Chloride. Genius. "We could make some." Dean and I gathered up a few things like bottles, filters, few other odds and ends when someone pounded on the entry door to the clinic.