Chapter 3 - Liliana

Fabian's POV
I didn't realise I had fallen asleep until light from a crack in the blackout curtains shone onto my face, effectively awakening me. When I didn't recognise my surroundings I curled into a ball and began shaking and whining, afraid and unsure what to do.

"Shh, it's okay little leopard. You're okay" a voice I vaguely recognised hushed me, before a smooth, warm hand caressed my fur soothingly. I turned my head towards the voice, to find Chase's worried crimson eyes staring down at me.

So startled by his proximity, I jumped sideways and slipped off the bed, my body crashing to the floor. A chuckle sounded from above me, as warm arms wrapped around my small body, cradling me.

"No need to be scared of me, little one. Zion is already up, do you want want some food?" He asked kindly.

Food? My ears instantly pricked at the mention, my stomach growling in agreement. Food sounded good, and I don't even have to hunt it myself!

"I'll take that reaction as a yes" the vampire said with a smile, carrying me from the bedroom to the kitchen. Once there, he placed me gently on the floor and watched as I jogged over to the plate on the floor that I assumed was mine.

I looked back at Chase and Zion -who now stood together- for permission, before digging in to the meat before me.

"He's just perfect, isn't he brother" I heard Chase sigh. Zion just scoffed in response.

I blanked them as I ate, savouring the taste of fresh meat. Although I did hunt some smaller animals myself, my size had reduced me to a scavenger, and most of the food I ate before was at least a day old. Being fed like this was like a luxury to me.

I had noticed that both vampires wish for me to shift back, but the truth is, I don't know how. I don't remember how to.

For the rest of my leap, shifting was second nature, they didn't even have to think about it and it didn't hurt them at all. For me, it was always a more lengthy, painful and awkward process. Each time, my family would just exchange knowing glances, and look at me sympathetically. But I didn't need their pity. I was happy.

I was brought out of my thoughts when my teeth scraped the bottom of the plate, alerting me to the fact I'd finished my meat. I whimpered a little, wanting more of the delicious food.

I looked up into Chase's eyes, my own growing wide in a silent plea. He shook his head and chuckled, leaning down to pick me up.

"No, little one. If we increase your food too quickly you'll get sick. That reminds me, we need to do a blood test to make sure you are healthy" Chase informed me.

I blinked, unsure of his meaning.

"Oh yes, I agree" Zion smirked, flashing his fangs at me. I tensed, and hid my face in Chase's shirt for comfort, inhaling deeply.

Although they were twins, their scents were different. Chase's was almost soft, whilst Zion's seemed... sharp? I don't know, it just had an edge to it but still smelt just as amazing as his brothers'.

"No, Zion. Not that kind of blood test" Chase scolded his twin yet again. I slowly came out of hiding, pressing my body closer to the vampire holding me as I looked at Zion.

He rolled his eyes at my apprehensive look, jumping slightly as the door behind him slammed open, a girl I didn't know now standing in the doorway.

"Awww!!! He's just as adorable as I'd imagined him to be!" The girl squealed, rushing over. I hid my face in Chase's chest again, feeling overcrowded. I've lived alone for so long, so many people at once is a little overwhelming...

"May I hold him?" She asked gently, and Chase must have nodded because I felt myself being shifted into another's arms, and a new, heavily perfumed scent hit me.

"Oh gosh, he's so light! Does he have a name?"

Instantly missing the natural scent of Chase, I began to shake and whimper for him, chirping sounds escaping my throat involuntarily as I curled up as small as possible.

"He hasn't shifted back at all to tell us, so we do not know. And I don't think it's personal, but he's not comfortable enough with being around so many people yet, he's scared. Do you here the chirping? He's calling for his mother" Chase told the girl softly, taking me back.

As his scent engulfed me I began to calm down, relaxing once again. Since spending a night sleeping curled up at their feet really had some wonders for my trust in them. Though I'm still more than a little scared of Zion, but I know he's only messing with me... I think.

"Sorry for scaring you, I didn't mean to!" The girl apologised, bowing her head. "It's nice to see how much trust you have in Chase, despite having just met" Then she turned to Zion, rolling her eyes. "And you. If you're serious about this, you need to try harder to win his affections!" She yelled, stomping her foot.

I looked up at Chase, trying to ask him 'who is this girl?' With my eyes. But, like before, he seemed to understand perfectly.

"Her name is Liliana, and she is our sister, as well as being next in line for the throne. Hard to believe, huh" he chuckled.

"Care to repeat that, Chase?" Liliana demanded, turning on her heel.

"Just joking" he murmured quickly, offering a small smile.

Liliana nodded, narrowing her eyes slightly before her gaze fell upon me once again, softening instantly.

"I hope you'll grow to love both my brothers equally. But please, I must beg of you, don't hurt them. They care about you more than you'll ever know, and they're more emotionally fragile than you realise." She paused, letting out a sigh. "You're so much like him, I think that's what drew them to you" she whispered, stroking my head with the back of her hand.

And this time, I let her.