Part 1: Her Return

"Mommy?" Ed tried to call for Aubrey's attention. He had been trying to get it for a few minutes.

"Mommy?" He whined. It was then that Aubrey realized she had him before her eyes. How long was he there?

"What happened?" She looked at him not even trying to feign happiness. It was useless. Her heart was still yearning for her husband. She still felt her heart crumble at the thought of him.

"Don't be sad. Uncle Mikey loved you very much. He wouldn't want you to be sad." Ed sat in her lap with care. He hugged her careful not to lean in too much. He knew that at this time her wounds were still too fresh.

Aubrey couldn't help but cry. She hugged her son closer by her. She wished she could hold him tightly but her seven month pregnancy didn't allow her. In the last month that she lost Michael, all she did was cry. It was hard to be strong. It was hard losing the one you loved.

Possibly one of the reasons Harry invited her back. He wanted to make sure she was alright and not alone. Aubrey had been hours away from her family and friends. It wouldn't be easy to stop by and check in on her. They were all concerned about her health. Specially now, that she was pregnant for the second time.

They had talked about her moving in when Harry decided to end his relationship—that was months ago. Aubrey had rejected the idea because she had her own family to take care of. Now, her husband was buried about six feet underground. Everything was a mess.

"Ed? What did you do?" A concerned Emily asks. She had only stepped out for a minute, then returning to an emotional nanny.

Emily and Darcy agreed that it was their turn to take care of their beloved nanny. She was supposed to come back to help their father take care of them but she was in no condition. Their father had asked them to behave and keep an eye on her. They didn't have to say anything. It was clear that she needed them.

"Nothing." Aubrey sniffled. She hesitantly let go of Ed.

"I'm fourteen and not as stupid as I once was. I know you miss uncle Mikey. We miss him too but we miss you more. You haven't been quite the same." Emily kneeled in front of nanny. She made sure to look her in the eye to show her maturity level and her concern.

"Where was I when you turned into a young lady?" Aubrey kissed Emily's forehead. For the first time in a while she was showing a genuine smile. Not one that was forced to pretend she was doing alright.

"You were out having the time of your life. Trying to make this baby." Emily patted gently the tummy of her nanny. "I swear your having twins with this huge tummy."

"You could. Imagine, I would have two brothers." Ed smiled. The idea of two babies made him happy.

"I thought you liked being the only son. You always get what you want." Darcy entered the living room carrying her two-year old sister.

"Did she just wake up?" Aubrey looked at the smallest member of the Styles family.

"Yeah, Marie just woke up. She didn't make a sound. I'm lucky I checked." Darcy cuddled, her sister closer, kissing her cheeks.

"She didn't eat before taking a nap. How about we go and eat?" Ed got off her lap and helped Aubrey up.

"Now, what would you like to eat?" Aubrey asked the children.

"Anything, we hadn't had a proper meal since forever," Ed said. The girls nodded in agreement.

"Why am I not surprised?" It had been a few days since she had officially moved back to their household. She was having a hard time adjusting and she'd been emotional from all the stress of loss, moving, and pregnancy.

Her doctor had recommended against moving but in the end she didn't have a reason to stay. Her husband was buried here due to his wishes. So it made sense for her to come back. No family was near there, and she only had two friends over there. All she did was rest in bed to be on the safe side, when she moved back. She couldn't risk losing another child.

"Your father, I swear," Aubrey mumbled.

"Don't swear in front of the children," Harry joked as he descended the stairs. He was in his pajamas. It was a Sunday morning which meant he was home.

Aubrey saw the greying/white hairs starting to pop on his hair. They shined making them look slightly silver. Soon she too would have a few grey hairs. How this family had grown without her.

"This is not the first time they haven't had a proper meal. You should learn a thing or two in the kitchen. Just so you know when I give birth I'll be limited for a few weeks. Who's going to do the cooking?" She looked at him.

"Darcy?" He looked at his oldest daughter for support.

"If you want to live of off mac and cheese, spaghetti, and microwaveable foods, then I'm your girl," she said with a smile. A sarcastic teenager.

"A seventeen year old who doesn't have a clue in the kitchen. Surprising. She'll only learn when she's far away in college without her nanny to cook for her. I told you to put them in some classes. You didn't listen."

"You said all three. Ed is still too young to be in the kitchen," Harry argued.

"It was a suggestion. Ed can be mature...when he wants to be. Now, let's make a meal. You're all helping." She led them to the kitchen.

She could see that they needed her once again. It was time to be a nanny again. She had three children she knew and two she was going to meet. This was going to be interesting.

She hadn't seen them in almost a year. A lot has changed since she left here ten years ago. She was now a thirty-one year old pregnant widow. Her last name Clifford instead of Carson. She had seen the world and fell in love with the greatest man who never crossed her mind as the love of her life. It was passionate, ever growing, flourishing along with them. It was a once in a lifetime type of love. She was sure she'd fall in love again because love always exists. Sometimes it's right next to you.

She looked at Harry smiling as he chopped up some ingredients. He was talking to his children. Aubrey was left with the two year old as she ordered them around. It was as if they were taking care of her instead of the other way around. It felt nice seeing them like this again. Interacting as if they hadn't stopped seeing one another.

She had two jobs she was sure of. One she had to get Harry to see and spend time with his children again. She knew by Ed that Harry was starting to spend more time in the office. Darcy would be off to college in a few months. And there was no need for her to miss any father-daughter experiences. Two was try and raise this family that was ever growing. She wasn't here as a nanny but as a friend. As part of the family.

This was a family. No matter how weirdly they are connected to one another. All that mattered is that they loved each other and are willing to do anything to keep each other happy. It would be slightly dysfunctional but Aubrey wouldn't change a thing. Now, she'd have a son of her own flesh and blood. It was exciting and new but this time she was prepared. Prepared for a life with those she loved, even if someone was missing.

{a/n}
January 7, 2017

This is the sequel to Nanny.
I may change the title. Idk but maybe I'll leave it alone.

Thoughts?

Comment, vote, share