How to say hello

The most popular way to say hello in Japanese is Konnichiwa.  

You can use the greeting Konnichiwa for anyone regardless of social status. And it could also mean Good afternoon.

You pronounce it like kohn-nee-chee-wah.

Over the phone you would say hello by saying Moshi Moshi. You would use this whether you are the caller or the person being called. Do not use Moshi Moshi in person.

You pronounce it like Mohsh Mohsh.

Use Ossu between close male friends. This is a very informal greeting used between close male friends or close male relatives. This phrase is not usually used between female friends or friends of the opposite gender. It is similar to saying "Hey dude!" or "Hey man!" In English.

You pronounce it like Ohss.

Yaho is a way of saying hello among friends or a way of saying hi among young people especially girls. It is usually written in katakana.

You pronounce it like yah-hoh.

Saikin do is "What's up?" or "What's new?" in English. Like other informal greetings, you should only say this around friends or siblings.

You pronounce it like sigh-kin-doh.

Hisashiburi is a way of saying "Long time no see" or "it's been a while." You would say this usually to a friend or family member that you have not seen for a while. (Several weeks, months or years.) The formal way of saying this is o hisashiburi desu ne.

You pronounce it like Hee-sah-shee-boo-ree OR hee-sah-shee-boo-ree deh-soo neh.