Oneshot

Straight posture. Steady arms.

I reminded myself this while I played my violin. The bow on my right hand was bouncing on the strings and the left kept the instrument in place.

Nothing could be heard but my blaring of Clair de Lune around the flat. I played as loud as I could. The whole place was deserted, all but me and the landlady.

I hadn't calculated the possibility of having a neighbor sign for a flat.

"A wonderful woman," the landlady informed. "She's about your age. You need a girlfriend, Samson. Why don't you try asking her out?"
"I'm afraid, Martha, that I lost the interest of having a relationship with another quite a long time ago," I replied coldly.

* * * *

I was getting bored. I had to go out.

Not long after that, I encountered a young woman in her twenties. Blonde hair, blue eyes; innocently attracti-

I stopped myself at that thought and approached her.

She was fondling with her pen, holding a bunch of papers in another hand. It didn't take long for her to notice me.

"Oh dear, sorry. Was I blocking the front door?" She moved away a bit, "Well, go ahead. I'm so sorry."

All I could do was nod and leave.

* * * *

The next five days weren't quiet.

Straight posture. Steady arms.

The sound of my violin stung my ears as I groaned in frustration. I played horribly.

The faint tune of a piano was heard through the wall. I put my violin on the table and listened. Too fast and snappy for Fur Elise.

I positioned my violin and tried to guide her back to the rightful pace.
Soon enough, she caught the message and played alongside me.

A few weeks passed when I started playing along with the stranger, feeling the familiarity of the melody with each note.

It's as if we were strangers no more.

Said collaboratiom lasted for month. There were still times when I just sit and listen to this neighbor's exceptional playing.

* * * *

It stopped. Just like that. Not a key was played.

Nothing.

I went to ask the landlady, to which she replied, "Oh, she's moved away already. She didn't plan on staying long, to be honest."

I blankly stared at her for a full minute before racing to my flat, doors locked. I rubbed my hair, had I fallen for the woman I barely knew?

A knock interrupted my saddening thoughts. I dismissed it as the landlady and didn't answer.

"Samson."

"Martha, I would appreciate a moment of silence."

A sigh escaped her lips, "I told you. You should've asked her out, dearie."

"Martha."

And silence greeted me like an old friend.

* * * *

"I can call her if you like."

I growled at her, "No need. Disturbance is an annoying matter."

"But Samson, she-"

"Silence is something that I believe you can give me, Martha. Please, do so."

* * * *

A time came when I had to eat. I haven't food in the cupboards. I slipped on my coat and walked out, only to find a young woman about to knock on my flat's entrance.

Her blonde hair was messy, as though she didn't mean to fix it. Her blue eyes stared into mine for a certain period of time. Her lips curved into one of the smallest grins I ever laid eyes on.

"The landlady called me, said you were looking for me." She held out her hand and spoke, "Jane Esther. I believe you gave me a headstart in the pacing."

I hesitated, but shook it eventually.
"Samson Page. I believe we have not been further acquainted."

A/N: I give @StrangeSongs the credits for the cover.