Chapter 6

In my dream I am in Iron town. I look around trying to see if I can find anyone, but all I see is the darkness of the night and the light from the iron mill. I listen to see if I could hear anything and all I hear is silence. I walk to the entrance of the town and find the entrance wide open and no guards. I walk to the outside and keep walking. During the time of walking through those mountains to the forest it felt as if time had slowed and that I was walking for hours. I finally reach to where me and San and taken Ashitaka to be healed by the Forest Spirit. I climb upon the small island and shake the water out of my hair. After getting dry I look around. I find nothing except trees. All of a sudden I hear deep growling behind me and I spin around still sitting on the ground. I find my mother who seemed massive from my visual point. She was hunched over me, half her body still hidden by the forest. Her golden eyes were glaring into my soul it seemed like and her jaws where ready to tear into my throat.

    "Mother." I gasp in fright.

    "Luka, you must choose. Either to be with your family and the forest, or be with the human and the forest killers." she snarled at me. I shake my head at her trying to understand where she was coming from.

    "Mother! Why must I choose? It is not as I am burning the forest, no, that is the people of Iron Town's job not mine. I respect the forest and the creatures that live in it, but I will not kill innocent human lives that do not deserve to be killed." I snarl back at her. To my right something comes out of the woods. This time it's Ashitaka.

    "You must choose Luka. The gods of the forest will not live long and neither will Iron Town. You must choose which one to fight for." In frustration tears coming to my eyes.

    "You must choose." the voices of my sister, my brothers, my mother, Ashitaka, and all the people I had met over the journey I have begun with Ashitaka. I closed my eyes and shake my head and all of a sudden, I am shaken awake. I look up. I see it is my sister with of worry upon her face.

    "What's wrong Luka?" she asks me. I feel something wet run down my face and I bring my hand up to it. It was tears that had fallen from my eyes which were running down my face. I sigh and wipe the fallen tears and gently push San off me.

    "Nothing." I grumble to her. I look down and see that the furs that I had covered Ashitaka with were on me.

    "He's safe. We must go." San tells me and I look next to me. Ashitaka was still sleeping. I nodded and grabbed my furs. I followed San as we both followed my mother. We got to a safe spot until she stopped.

    "You two, go on ahead, I must show the human back to the town." she tells us.

    "May I come with you mother?" I ask her. She looks down at me and with how her eyes glared at me in my dream I slightly cower. She nods to me as she turns. I quickly jump onto her back and we take off back to the cave. By the time we get there it's about noon. We stop a little away from the cave. After a few minutes of waiting Ashitaka rolls down the hill to where he finds his Elk. Mother and I watch as he looks at us and jumps upon Yakul. We guide him to the river. He looks back at us and begins to yell.

    "Please take this Luka!" he throws the dagger which his sister Kana gave him. I quickly grab it and look at it with wonder. The dagger was beautiful.

    "Thank you Ashitaka!" I yell back at him. As I catch it mother with me still on her back runs to where the clearing was to watch the Town. As we got there I climb off her back and sit so I was able to see through the hole in the leaves. Mother laid and we waited for San and my siblings to meet up with us. It was about an hour until they finally got there. All we could see was the brownish smoke and with it came the reek. It burned my eyes as well as my sister voiced it to mother.