Chapter 7

29th June 1950

Peter Goove sat in the shuttle driving him to the army's headquarters. He had received the draft two days ago and since then was not able to sleep well. His thoughts were all over the place.
In his hands he held a picture of a beautiful young woman smiling at the camera with no worries at all.
He wished he could go back to the day he had shot that photo – when they had just started their relationship. Everything was much easier back then before he went to the army. But he had no other choice back then and he did not regret it. He needed the stable salary – even though it was not very much – but it was enough to keep him and his girlfriend away from the streets.

The bus drove onto the site and halted. Two uniformed men stood next to the gate and saluted. The doors opened and the other passengers got up.
He quickly put the picture into his chest pocket and left the bus with the other soldiers. He sweated nervously and couldn't concentrate on his surroundings. He had been here before a few times but never was he afraid as at that moment. He didn't want to go to war – but who would actually want to?
They queued up in front of a table and soldier after soldier stepped forward to report their arrival. Peter was the third in line and continuously looked back to the door they came through. If he could just throw everything away and leave through that door...
"Everything okay, man?" the Private behind him asked with a slightly worried expression. Him being on edge grew on the other soldiers who also did not feel very good about this.
Peter could only nod and looked back to the front. He was next.
The two in front of him were sent through another door; probably sent to their troops.
"Name?" the Officer in front of him asked as he took a few steps forward. Peter's mouth was so dry that he could only stammer a husky "Peter Goove".
The officer looked at his list and after flipping the last page he furrowed his eyebrows.
"Come again? What is your name?" he asked again, suspecting he just could not understand the nervous soldier properly.
"Peter Goove", his voice was more steady but everyone could hear the tension in him.
"Private Goove has already arrived an hour ago" the officer stated and Peter gaped at him. How was that even possible? Even though Peter was a common name – Goove on the other hand was not.
"But I am Peter Goove, I have the draft with me!" he took off his backpack and looked into the side pockets to get the official letter. But his hand grabbed nothing and his eyes widened in shock as realization hit him: The letter was not with him!

The officer looked at him – his eyes annoyed and furious. "Do you think this is a joke, Private? I will ask again - and this is your last chance. What is your name?"
Peter did not know what to do. If he insisted on being Peter Goove the officer would probably explode in anger - because that would mean they let an unauthorized person enter.
But he also feared the consequences if he said what the officer wanted to hear: that he was someone else. However, if he did that he could be declared as a deserter since he did not follow the draft to serve his country – which he had sworn to do.
"Contain him for now, I don't have time for this child play", the officers waved two soldiers to his side who did not hesitate to take Peter by the arms and dragged him out of the room.

Tamsin sat in a plane in full gear the seatbelt already buckled in. The other man did buckle up, as well, but they seemed to be up for some witty jokes. It seemed like the unit as they were already existed before with the exception of herself.
They took notice of the new face and turned to her: "You must be the cherry boy, aren't ya?"
"What was his name... Peter Groove?" The man next to him asked.
Tamsin gulped before continuing the lie she had started since she set foot in the head quarters that day: "I am Peter Goove, not Groove"
"Ohh~ someone who can speak for himself" he nodded acknowledging Tamsin's courage. "But don't forget you are the rookie here, so you better watch your step! People with big mouths like yours tend to get shot first", he tried to intimidate her. But before he could registrate her reaction another uniformed entered the plane and after him the hatch was closed.
The talking stopped instantly. Tamsin identified him as the Sergeant leading this unit since he sat down at the front and no one dared to break the silence he had created.
And even though they all awaited a few words from him he kept quiet tensing up everyone – probably including himself.
Tamsin fixated her gaze on the ground as the plane set into the air directed towards Korea.