01.

Chapter One;

Jasmine, Ellie's sister's, car pulled to a stop just outside the boundaries to Camp Half-Blood. Kaia stared out of the window at the hill that hid the camp spread out just behind it. She could already smell the bonfire smoke, and hear the voices of the sing-along. She heard the clash of metal on metal and the dull thud of arrows hitting their targets.

Most important of all, she saw the smiling faces of her two best friends: Luke, and little Annabeth.

If she was being honest, those two were the only reason she had returned to Camp Half-Blood. And the weapons practice, and scenery. That was it. Kaia could have easily forgone all other aspects of the camp and not missed them.

Kaia breathed out and turned to face her girlfriend's sister. "Thanks for driving me, Jaz."

Her father had refused point-blank to escort her. They had been on dicey terms at best ever since Kaia had revealed herself to be bisexual. Throw Greek goddesses and monsters into the mix – well, her father was kind of regretting ever having met Athena.

Kaia had hated living with him. He constantly belittled her, and made her arrival in the world sound like the biggest inconvenience in the world. It was obvious he'd rather live in his stupid stuffy books and essays on philosophical theories than pay attention to a child. As far as he was concerned, the Greek gods and goddesses should have stayed in ancient times. He had no time for them – no time for her.

Kaia had almost run away back to Camp Half-Blood several times because of him.

"No problem." Jasmine frowned at the hill. "Are you sure this is the place?"

"Positive."

Kaia bit her lip and turned to the girl who shared the backseat with her.

Ellie smiled sadly and looked at her hands, clutched in her lap. "So... this is goodbye?"

Kaia sighed. Ever since she had disappeared last summer, things had changed between herself and Ellie. They still had feelings for each other, but now there was a part of Kaia's life that she had to keep secret from regular mortals – including Ellie. Ellie had sensed that she was keeping something secret, and besides, Kaia had changed ever since spending the summer at Camp Half-Blood. There was a wedge in their relationship, one that Kaia hoped to one day remove. She loved Ellie, after all.

Kaia cupped her girlfriend's cheek and smiled softly. "Hey, El. I'm sorry about this, but it's not forever. I'll be back by the time summer ends. I love you, okay?"

Ellie looked away, but nonetheless nodded. "I know. See you at school?"

Kaia's heart broke at Ellie's small, distant voice, but pretended she hadn't heard it. She tried to remain upbeat, for both their sakes. "Of course."

Kaia pecked Ellie on the lips before she pushed the door open and clambered outside. She stood there and waved until the car disappeared from sight.

Kaia faced Half-Blood Hill, with Thalia's tree standing tall at the top. She sighed.

Back again, she thought without enthusiasm.

Kaia hitched her bag over her shoulder and marched toward it.

On the peak of Half-Blood Hill, the first thing she noticed was the tall pale-blue structure of the Big House. She remembered her first day at Camp: Cloyd taking her to meet Chiron and Mr. D, who explained that the Greek gods and goddesses were still very much alive. It had been difficult enough for her to sit still and pay attention before she learned that. Afterward, she'd been so distracted trying to comprehend that Zeus ruled from Olympus that Chiron had given up trying to explain anything else to her.