Chapter one.

Making sure to stick to the shadows, I creep through the dead street. The dim street lamps cast some light on the road and pavement, but I don't dare step out into it. No, I'm quite fine lurking in the darkness, where it is safe. I shouldn't be out this late. My father is going to kill me.

My worn out sneakers scuff against the ground as I pull my hoodie over my head and turn a corner, never once allowing my gaze to leave the dingy street. It's quiet out tonight - not the usual peaceful quiet, but an eery type - and honestly it's giving me the fucking creeps.

Navigating my way through the tarnished alleyway behind a pub, I step over the drunken bodies that lay almost lifeless in the damp gutter. The strong smell of sweat and alcohol fills the thin night air, making me scrunch up my nose.

Moving quicker to get away from the smell and to avoid being seen, I continue walking, only stopping when I reach the end of the concrete passage. Leaning my back against the cold brick wall, I tilt my head around slowly, making sure the "Coast is clear". Seeing the small lane empty brings a smile to my face. I'm almost there, I'm almost safe.

With trembling, glove clad hands, I grip the edge of the wall, sticking my head out further; double checking there is no one in sight. The area appears completely deserted. It's comforting yet terribly unnerving at the same time. Oh well, it's now or never.

The sudden screech of the rubber soul of my shoe hitting the cement path makes me jump. I clamp my hand over my mouth as I breath heavily, my chest heaving up and down. Quickly moving my head from left the right, I make sure no-one else heard it and decided to come looking for the source of the noise. I wait quietly for my possible killer to come skulking around the corner, full speed towards me, wielding some type of weapon.

After a few minutes I'm convinced no one is coming and I'm safe.

Slowly lowering my hand, I let go of the breath I was holding in. Fog appears as the warmth coming from my mouth mixes with the cold air. Everything goes still and a bitter sweet silence surrounds me. The only noise to be heard is the wind whistling as it slides through the holes in the chipped alleyway bricks.

-----

"What took you so long? You were meant to be back by sunset. Violet, I was worried sick! You know how dangerous it is at this time of night." My father yells almost instantly as I step into the house. I shut the front door quickly, not wanting the warm air to escape.

"I'm sorry, I got distracted." I mumble, dropping my backpack to the floor.

"You're darn right you're sorry." He says frowning at me. His arms are tightly crossed over his chest, "and what could have possible distracted you for so long?"

"Um, well I went to the, um, t-the library. And there was this really great, uh, book and I guess I just lost track of time." I let out a nervous chuckle. I did go to the library tonight and I did find a very interesting book, but that's not what distracted me. No, the real distraction was what I saw out the library window.

I saw a boy, well a man, around my age. He was walking along the road, a cigarette between his lips as he enjoyed the soft glow of light that the street lamps gave off. He wasn't a normal boy, That was certain. No, he was one of the monsters my father has warned me about.

He looked so human, so normal. The only thing that gave him away was his eyes. They seemed to glow as he stepped into the shadows.

"Prove it." My father grumbles angrily, snapping me back to reality. He stares at me as if he can see the thoughts rolling around in my head. Sighing, I unzip my bag and tip it upside down. A leather covered book tumbles onto the floor with a soft thud.