Franny The Manny Part 3

Franny the Manny

I was heading to a manor house in Devon. The Raven's Keep Country Manor, it was called. I didn't quite know what to make of the name of the manor, and I hoped that the manor's owners would be just warm and welcoming of me, as the lady at the train station. Many thoughts crossed my mind on my journey to Devon, and the journey itself was beautiful, but ever so noisy. So many children nattering and laughing, all at the same time. I continued to observe the trees and landscapes fluttering past my window, in a multitude of green and yellow hues, which seemed to clash with the beautiful cloudless sky. It was a breathtaking journey, and a welcome from that of busy smoggy London. If I would miss anything at all; it would be my parents, and Mr Brown-Jones wireless.

I found myself waking up, with a corner of my forehead pressed against the window. I felt as though the train was slowing down. Trying to look ahead, I could see a station appearing in the distance. Station after station appeared, and none were mine. Finally, we reached Quintrell Downs. I looked around to see that there were only a few of us children left. Looking at the people on the platform, I had hoped to see a happy, warm and friendly face or two to greet me. Unfortunately, the few others got the friendliest of families. Looking around, I could see no one else on the platform. I quietly made my way to one of the wooden benches, in the hope that someone, anyone would take me. I was hungry, and tired, and filled with unknowing.

The entrance doors to the platform let out a squeak in protest, and there stood a pale, tall middle aged man, wearing a tweed grandfather cap, wellies, corderroy trousers, and a cream woollen jumper, that appeared to have a hole in the righ elbow, exposing his check shirt.

"Are you Elizabeth Drumming?" the man enquired. "Drummond, yes, that is me" I replied.

My name is Francis, most round 'ere call me Franny the Manny. I can do all the odd jobs about the Manor, Master McQuorquodale had requested that I come and collect you from the station, Miss Drummond". "Elizabeth, or perhaps Lizzy" I stated. "Beg yer parrdon Miss?" asked the gaunt stringy man.

"My name is Elizabeth, you can call me either Elizabeth, or Lizzy, like some of my friends do, if you like Franny the Manny". With that, a small chuckle escaped Manny's lips. "What's so funny?" I asked.

"Oh, nuffen' I suppose, it's just that no one has actually called me by my full nickname before,  until now. People called me Franny the Manny because I am the man that everyone calls on when they need help wit' summit" Franny replied. "Of course, I could just call you Franny if you wish" I said. "Yea, that'll do" he replied.

Making our way outside to the main entrance, stood a horse and cart.

"Now, you can choose where you want to sit" said Franny. "Either wiv me, or you can sit in the back with Mr Bo Jangles, there". He declared, pointing to an old English Sheep dog that was by far the largest dog I had ever seen, and whose eyes were obscured by his white fluffy long mane.

"I'll sit with him!" I decided, smiling at his fluffy, lovable face, and mouth wide open, panting loudly, who seemed more welcoming than Franny. "Fine" replied Franny looking over his shoulder. "Just so as you know...he dribbles like mad, and farts incessently; right pongy ones too!". And with that, I wasted no haste in clambering over gardening tools, and buckets to sit next to Franny, before he directed the horse along its way up the small winding road.

Franny glanced over, and smiled to himself, and said nothing for a moment.

"How far is the Manor, Franny?" I asked.