Chapter Two: Advance

Ravine~

I had a frown on my face as I walked out of the subway station. Something felt wrong. It hadn't been like this on the train. It was when I walked out that things had started to feel strange. I checked my ipod for the time, 9:06 a.m., I was a little late, but still on time. I took a right to Morris street. I was probably the only teenager in Manhattan to willingly go to school on a saturday. I wasn't in trouble and I certainly didn't need tutoring, I just missed school yesterday and needed to pick up some homework. I wasn't paying attention to were I was going and managed to bump into a mean looking old woman.

"Sorry," I said as she walked away looking irritated.

I prepared to walk across the street. I was a fraction too early going across. A taxi blared its horn at me as I looked up startled. I guess I was more lost in thought than I had guessed. Just then a car nearly crashed into the taxi. I ran. No way was I going to stick around to get in trouble. The crowd that had formed at the scene quickly dispersed. I was glad this was NY, no one ever thought about things like that for more than a second. As I made my way through the mass of people I began to think of what a close call that was. A near death experience was not a part of my agenda today, but then again I really didn't care, at least I hadn't died. Well things like that didn't usually happen to me, a lot. I got a call on my cellphone and checked who it was, Brenda, my foster mom.

"Hello?" I said.

" Hi how's it going?are you at your school yet? hm?" I almost broke out laughing but smiled instead, Brenda had a tendency to worry too much.

"Yes I am, well almost," I said.

"Oh ok, just checking", she replied.

"Bye," I said.

"Good bye," she replied.

She was a good foster mom. I walked into my school solemnly, I wasn't too fond of being in there alone. I scanned the main hallway and walked to the main office. The gray haired lady that usually worked there was already waiting for me. She handed me my assignments and told me to have a nice day. I walked out of the building in a better mood. I checked the time, 9:18, I had nothing to do so I decided to go to the mall. That should be interesting. As I walked down the busy street I felt like someone was watching me, I looked around but I didn't see anybody.