54 | Of a Promise

The Sin of Pride sat next to me on Sloth's couch, his eyes shut and his head listing to one side as Peroth continued filling him in on what had transpired during his absence. I could never be certain with Darius, but I thought he was asleep and not hearing a word Sloth said.

Peroth stopped mid-dialogue and cleared his throat. "Pride!"

I poked Darius's arm. No reaction. "I think he's sleeping," I whispered.

"I'm not bloody sleeping," was the creature's angry retort. "I'm simply bored to death by your ranting."

"Ranting? Who's ranting?" Sloth countered as Darius opened his eyes a fraction to peer at the other Original. "I'm telling you how things are, Darius."

Pride exhaled and leaned back, one of his hands rising to cup his shoulder as if it hurt. "I'm tired. Be brief."

Peroth stared at Darius with his arms held behind his back and his expression unreadable. He was nearer to the desk than he was to the sofa, the side of his face brightened by the sole lamp lit at this late hour. Amoroth sat behind the desk filing her nails. The Druids were on the balcony overhead, silently watching with their animal eyes glinting in the shadows.

"Eduardo's dead."

Darius's eyes opened fully. "Did Balthier finally tire of him?"

"No. He sent him into the manor." Peroth resumed his restless pacing. "And I killed him."

Pride frowned and his fingers tightened, but he responded with the same bored, imperious tone. "It was only a matter of time. It had to be done eventually."

"Is that so?" Peroth eyed Darius, then sat on the edge of the desk. "He tried to kill your shadeborn."

A moment passed as the words sunk in.

"What?" Darius demanded, all traces of languor vanishing in an instant. "What happened?"

"Oh? You're interested now?"

"Dammit, Cuxiel—!"

Sloth lifted his hands in surrender. "Suffice it to say he caused quite a stir in my home. It cost him his life."

I sighed with relief—and quickly stifled the noise when Darius's head swiveled in my direction. I'd been terrified Peroth or Amoroth would tell Darius about my casting magic or my being ill. I doubted he'd care about my sickness, but he's undoubtedly want to hear about how I exploded half a Sin's face.

Amoroth began to darkly chuckle as she swiped the file along the sharp curve of her nails. "Priceless...."

I mouthed a litany of swear words in her direction and only stopped when Darius looked at me again.

"What are we going to do about the fifth-born Sin of Gluttony?" Darius asked Peroth, though his eyes remained on me with clear suspicion. "We may have a year at best before he or she is born."

"I imagine the situation will have reached its...resolution by then." Peroth shifted from foot to foot, then looked up at the balcony. "W'arg, if you would check the situation downstairs, I'd be most appreciative. I'll follow in a minute."

The Druid groused but flew off, disappearing before I could figure out how he managed to get through a shut door. The situation will have reached its resolution. I curled my fingers into the cold, flawless fabric of my dress as I stared at my knees. Yes, we would have our resolution long before the new Sin of Gluttony was born. I shouldn't concern myself with the question of who or when the new Sin would be or come about. One way or another, I was going to be dead.