CHAPTER EIGHT

BLOOD IN THE WATER

BLOOD IN THE WATER

...🌑...

WITH her fathers work coat wrapped around, Rory sat in the police station by his desk, frozen in time as the world went around her in a blur. It was chaos at the station, officers pulled in from their usual patrols as news of Waylon Forge swept the town and Charlie was at the helm of it all. It was hard for him to do his job when all he wanted was to wrap his daughter up and hold her close, but as Chief of Police he had a duty to find the animal responsible for his friends brutal death and protect the rest of the town from meeting the same fate.

After examining the body, Dr. Carlisle Cullen made his wave through the station with an unusual frown on his handsome face, unseating heart heavy as he knew it was no animal that killed Waylon. He took an unneeded breath before his golden gaze snapped across the room where he found Rory sitting despondently.

Medical kit in hand, Carlisle moved smoothly across the station before he was kneeling before the girl, reaching for her hands "Miss. Swan--" He paused as he watched her flinch, wide eyes shooting up to meet his "I just want to clean your wounds, if that's alright with you?"

Rory swallowed thickly before nodding, holding out her hands. As Carlisle carefully grasped ahold of them, turning her palms to face him, his freezing cold touch soothed the dull ache her cuts gave. Pulling out an antiseptic wipe, Carlisle hesitated "This may hurt a little." He softly applied it to her wounds but she didn't so much as flinch, just watched his movements carefully like she was waiting for him to attack and part of him worried that somehow she knew the truth "What happened?"

Rory didn't look away from her hands, her voice scratchy and felt heavy on her tongue "I scraped them on a wall."

"And Waylon?" He questioned carefully "How did you know where to find him?"

"I didn't... I just... the voices..." She finally lifted her gaze to his and Carlisle frowned at the fear within them "I saw it. In my dream."

Carlisle frowned, opening his mouth to question her further when Charlie appeared at his desk, looking exhausted. The doctor looked between them, finishing up Rory's hands before he stood with a soft smile "I'll leave you two alone."