To Face the Beast

"How many more floors?" The Flash asked.

"Six more." Green Arrow said from his position in point.

The Bat checked her watch. They had 17 minutes left. "We're running out of time. We have to get up there faster."

"But we can't, every couple floors we hit another motion activated bomb. I could run one person up to the top floor and skate through the explosions, but the destroyed levels we went through would be impassable for the person left behind." The Flash said, grimacing.

The three looked at each other. The Bat thought for a minute. The bombs were a problem. Luckily it seemed that the building was taking the explosions well. The detonation only lighting the place up with flames, not powerful enough to destroy concrete or support beams. She hoped. It wasn't like they'd gone back and checked or anything.

"Only six more floors?" She looked at the unfinished elevator shaft blocked off by tape and stacked boards. "Then as Alfred would say, I'll take the lift."

Green Arrow shook his head as he realized her plan. "No. I'll do it. You're lighter than me, Barry will be able to go faster if he's carrying you."

"You're sure?" The Bat asked.

Green Arrow rolled his shoulders. "Positive."

Six floors? I should have taken the lift... Bruce thought sickly as she held her stomach. The Flash had gone full speed up the stairs and the jostling had made her dizzy and queasy. But they'd made it, the explosion's too slow to touch them.

"Here, take my arm." The Flash said into the open elevator shaft as Green Arrow popped out, having used his bow to shoot to the roof and pull himself up by the line attached to it.

"Well, we made it. Let's go kick his ass." The Bat said, standing up and spreading her legs.

"One minute." Green Arrow said, putting a hand to his ear. "Kara? Did you get the bomb taken care of?"

They all heard her reply through their earpieces. "Heheh. Yup. Got it to space in time." She sounded kind of dazed. "That was one superpowerfools essplosion."

Green Arrow's eyebrows knitted themselves together, his lips in a firm line. "What? Are you okay? Kara?"

"I'll be fine Green Bean! I'll be headed your way in a jiffy."

"No." Green Arrow said sternly. "You've done enough. We can handle this. Go home and rest."

"But—"

"No. We've got this handled."

Just then the KGBeast burst out of a room and sprayed the hallway they were occupying with bullets.

"Shit!" The Bat cried as they all launched themselves into an adjacent open room.

"Oliver? What's happening?!" Kara cried.

"Go home and go the fuck to sleep, Kara!" The Bat commanded as she whipped out one of her batarangs.

They could hear Kara sigh. "Okay..."

"Come and get eet you American assholes!" the KGBeast cried from the hallway, shooting off a few more bullets.

"I'm Canadian!!!!!" Green Arrow cried as he popped out around the doorway and hit the KGBeast's gun with one of his arrows, knocking it out of his hand.

"Not again!" The Beast cursed. "After zis I'm getting a gun attached to my arm!!"

The Bat whipped around and grabbed Flash's arm. "Flash, go find Dick and get him out of here! Oliver and I will handle The Beast!"