Chapter Four

It felt like the world was exploding around her as Carlos tumbled her to the ground using his own body as a protective shield over hers. She fought the urge to scream as glass shattered upon them and she was concerned that Carlos would be harmed. She wriggled beneath him in an effort to try and get free but he pinned her further with his weight until she gave up. Finally everything went silent and she tried to turn her head to see what was happening but Carlos was blocking her view. He waited a beat and then slowly moved from her but stayed crouched low.

“Stay here,” he ordered quietly when she would have sat up and before she could answer he was out the door with a gun magically appearing in his hand.

Without hesitation she got to her feet and took a stunned breath as she looked about at the destruction of the place. Avoiding the glass she followed after Carlos. Stepping out in to the darkness she looked curiously around and wondered what the hell had just happened. She had recognised the sound of gunfire but didn’t realise why anyone would have been shooting at them. Shivering slightly in the cold she peered further in to the darkness hoping to get some clue as to why she had almost been shot. Instead she saw Carlos slowly returning and she breathed a sigh of relief that he was safe.

“Did you find them?” she asked and was unprepared for the fury that appeared on his face or the way that he roughly grabbed her by the arm and forced her back in to the cabin.

“I told you to stay inside!” he cursed as he dragged her over to the furthest corner of the cabin and sat her on the small bed.

“You don’t have to manhandle me. I’m not a child,” she snapped and he glowered at her.

“Then stop acting like one. Do you have any idea how dangerous going out there was?” he demanded and she folded her arms and jutted her chin up as she glared at him.

“You went out there,” she reminded him and it was his turn to glare at her.

“I have been trained for situations like that and I had a gun. You ran out there with no idea of how easy it would have been for someone to shoot you,” he informed her and she kept her glare trained on him even as she realised that he was making a valid point. She hated feeling stupid and helpless. She had always been independent and had been able to take care of herself so she found it almost unbearable that she’d had to rely on Carlos.

“Are you hurt?” he demanded and she frowned at him.

“I’m fine,” she grudgingly told him but he apparently didn’t believe her as his hands skimmed searchingly over her slender frame and she backed away from him but he didn’t release her until he was satisfied that there were no injuries.

“I can take care of myself,” she said sullenly and he gave a frustrated sigh as he ran a hand through his dark hair before pinning her with a glare.

“Can you take care of yourself against a gun?” he asked and she rolled her eyes.

“Now that we’ve almost been shot can we leave this hellhole?” she asked dryly and he stared at her in disbelief.

“This is a crime scene,” he reminded her and she shrugged.

“Your point being?”

“My point being that we don’t know who shot at us or why and we need to call this in,” he told her while she sighed.

“That’s just a waste of time and taking up valuable resources that we don’t need. Whoever it was is long gone and there’s no reason to involve anyone else,” she said and he took a slow steadying breath to hold in his anger.

“Are you insane?” he demanded and she frowned at that.

“Excuse me?”

“Someone just tried to shoot you,” he said through clenched teeth and she shrugged.