Chapter Three

Chapter Three:

“Lexi? Ohh Lexii! Wake up; we’ve got a big day ahead of us!” I vaguely registered the voice calling out to me, but my quilt was too comfortable to abandon.

“I didn’t want to have to do this, but you’ve given me no other choice…”

Just as I was a about to drift off to sleep again, I felt a cold sensation wash all over me. Waking up with a start, I noticed Jinn standing nearby with an empty bucket in his hands. He was smiling victoriously, not bothered that I was trying not to drown in the freezing water he threw on me. “It’s about time you woke up, you’ve got school today!”

Spluttering, I yelled at him as quietly as I possibly could without waking up the whole neighbourhood, “@sshole! What was that for? Alarm clocks were invented for a reason!” I jumped out of bed, trying to cover up my now transparent white tank top. He grinned, openly staring at my chest.

“Now now, there’s no need to cover up.”

“You- you- ugh!” Not knowing what to say to this imbecile, I hurried to the bathroom. Locking the door, I stripped off my wet clothes, throwing them into the corner and stepping into a warm shower.

Jinn may have the power to grant me five wishes, but I sure was regretting polishing that lamp. He refused to leave my room last night, and instead insisted on sleeping over. Being magical and all, he whisked up a cot out of thin air to sleep in. As if to make the situation worse, I discovered that he was also a loud snorer, causing me to lay wide awake in bed until the early hours of the morning.

Now done my shower, I wrapped a towel around me as I stepped out into the cool air of my bedroom. Jinn was nowhere to be seen, and neither was his cot. Good Riddance, I thought.  

*     *     *

The drive to school was quiet, and Jinn had still not shown up. The silence in my mother’s car was deafening, and I had no idea how to work the radio. The weather was bringing down my mood as well; the skies were gray with storm clouds, and the first drops of an upcoming storm were descending upon the city. With nothing to distract myself with, my mind kept going back to Jinn and what he was up to. I hope he wasn’t causing any trouble.

I pulled into the school parking lot, which was relatively empty owing to the fact that I was fifteen minutes early. Picking up my bag, I stepped out into the rain, immediately running for cover. Of course, I had to choose the parking spot furthest from the school, and so by the time I had reached our foyer my hair was drenched down to my scalp. Great, my day just kept getting better.

Head down, I hurried down the hallway to get to the nearest bathroom. Not looking where I was going, I bumped into someone hard, causing me to fall down flat on my butt. Muttering profanities under my breath, I recovered, looking up to see the offender.

Looming over me was Mason Schuler. Now, this was not what caused me to blush- Mason was an attractive male specimen, but it was his friend standing behind him that made me want to disappear.

Tall and lanky with a cute smile, Aaron Miles was my idea of perfection. Now, Aaron wasn’t your stereotypical high school crush. Sure, he played basketball, but he was a far cry from being a jock- His 4.0 grade point average, witty humour and kindness prevented that.

I scrambled for my fallen books, my blush deepening as I remembered the state I was in. Mason was in a state of shock, probably surprised he had the strength to knock me over.

“Mason, you clumsy hooligan,” Aaron laughed, walking towards me and holding out a helping hand, “you pushed the poor girl down!”

“It-It’s alright,” I stammered, trying not to squeal with happiness as I held onto his hand.