Chapter 3: The Oldest Rule.

-- Castiel --

Gabe.

Tears were truly streaming down his face now, as he ran, Garth behind him, to find the other hunters who had accompanied them. He had to be okay. He'd get out of there alive, and in one piece. He couldn't lose his brother. He couldn't lose someone he could never replace.

If Gabriel never made it out of there, it would all be on him.

It's all my fault.

Castiel truly wished he'd never brought his family and his friends into this mess. He wished he'd gone alone.

"Hey, Castiel. There's no point crying about it now. What's done is done. Gabriel will be fine, I'm sure he'll make it out of there. What's important now is finding the others and making sure they're all okay, and that they've got rid of the other vampires. They'll probably need assistance, as there was four of them against seventeen vampires. We need to aid them before we go back to rescue Gabriel."

Castiel hated every word Garth said, but he knew he was right. He shook his shoulders, gripping his blade tighter, and carried on along the corridor. They were now in the part of the barn that Johnny and Gwen Campbell had been tasked with clearing- but they couldn't see either hunter anywhere.

"Where are they?" Castiel wondered aloud.

"I don't know. This is strange. They might be hurt. We need to find them." Garth replied- and at that moment, someone screamed. It wasn't too far from them, and it was a woman's scream- and the voice sounded familiar.

"Gwen." Garth realised. He set off running towards the source of the scream, Castiel on his heels. They arrived at another door, and without waiting to hear how many vampires there were in the room beyond, they burst through.

There was blood everywhere. Some of it belonged to the two headless vampires sprawled on the floor- but not all of it was theirs.

Crumpled in a heap on the floor, blood pouring from an open wound in his neck, was Johnny Campbell. Gwen was hunched over his body, holding his head in her hands, shaking him, as if he was only asleep and she was trying to wake him. She must have known it was useless. Johnny could not have survived a wound that deep, and a considerable loss of blood. But still she tried, she herself shaking with wracking sobs.

Excluding the two dead vampires on the floor, there were eight vampires left in the room- which meant that the other seven were fighting Rufus and Jo. They were advancing on Gwen- but Garth yelled something unintelligible at them, and they averted their attention from the dead hunter on the floor and its mourner. As the eight vampires closed in on Castiel and Garth, Castiel thought,

You sons of bitches. This is for my family.

Without waiting for them to reach him, Castiel ran forward, swinging his blade, not caring where it hit, and he didn't wait to see where the head fell, as he spun to face another vampire- but there was no vampire there to greet him. The seven vampires still alive in the room were still running, yes- but away from Castiel, not towards him. Before Castiel or Garth could do anything, they crashed through the door the two hunters had just entered through, and they were out of sight. Castiel made to follow them, but a hand gripping the blood-splattered trench coat he wore pulled him back.

"Not now, Castiel. Gwen needs our help. We need to get Johnny out of here." Garth said.

"But we're letting them get away! I can't let them get away!"

"Castiel. We'll find them again, I promise, but right now that's not our priority. Come on."

Garth knelt beside Gwen, murmuring something to her that Castiel couldn't hear, but was probably some reassuring nonsense. He felt guilty for thinking it, but right now he didn't care about helping the Campbells. All he wanted was to chase down the rest of those vampires and butcher them for what they did to his family.