Lancelot

Lancelot

I have travelled far and wide, fought battles, seen a vast display of castles, cities, and caves. I have seen a variety of islands, yet somehow my mind returns to this one always. it is meagre compared to the ones I explore, but shrouded in rumours, secrets and lies. Old wives tell many a tale of what may lie in the tower. Some say a vicious demon resides there, others tell tales of a benevolent fairy. My mother spun her own web of lies about a beautiful lady, banished from the human realm, forced to exist within four grey walls, glimpsing the world outside in shadows. I gave a dry humourless laugh. I do not pity this lady. For I have seen the bad in the world. I have seen the brutality of humanity, far too many times to imagine that the fabled Lady of Shalott was anything but blessed. I would have once seen her as cursed, when I was young, hot-blooded and reckless. When I dreamed of being a noble knight, venturing to all corners of the globe, protecting Camelot, my home. I dreamt of being a hero. Now I realise, I am but a weapon, pointed towards a faceless enemy, with no choice but to fight. Shaking my head at my ridiculous fancies, I rode on, a song on my lips, dreaming of the day I would no longer go to war. As I reach Camelot, however, true music fills the air. I turn to see a boat, wandering aimlessly through the river. From it is emanating a truly beautiful, filling me with an indescribable sensation. I wandered to the river, wanting to see what was in the boat; wat was responsible for making me feel the way I did. There was an unbelievable spectacle surrounding it by the time I arrived, thoughts mingled with fear and wonderment. Pushing through, desperate to see, I stopped short. It was her. It must be. The loveliest sight I have ever beheld. Just barely alive, but accepting of her fate, almost ready to let go. Waiting. I knelt beside her, and bid farewell to the Lady of Shalott.