nine

Finally back, phew 💨
Please read the A/N at the end of the chapter!

MARCO

The house is quiet, too quiet. As I step inside my dark home, I'm again, face to face with the reality that I live in. Loneliness, quietness, with basically everything I hate.

A sigh leaves my mouth as I turn on the light. I might regret the words I just said to her but it's a good distraction for me. It's better for me to be with someone, even if it's with Eline, a girl who makes me uncomfortable and frustrated.

I grab my car keys and swiftly make my way back to my door. I know that I shouldn't drive just yet if I don't want to get caught that I lied about my injury but I don't have the heart to stood her up.

My Audi welcomes me and soon I make my way toward Mario's house. Luckily it's not so far away yet somehow I find myself wishing that driving there would take me longer, because sooner than I wanted, I'm at his driveway.

His car is right where it always is and Eline stands next to it. She waves her hand a little and makes her way to the passenger side of my car.

"Thank you for coming, you really didn't need to," Those are the first words she says to me and I swear that I'm about to shout at her. "Can you stop already?" I know that it's rude of me but she's really starting to annoy me.

She lets out a rather loud huff and I roll my eyes. I just have to comment something back at her. "For the record I heard that." She laughs a little at my comment and she really has to give it right back at me: "You were supposed to."

And then it's quiet for a moment too long, because awkwardness starts to fill the car like a gas and soon it's thick enough to cut with a knife. Luckily the first intersection comes into a view and I have to ask her which way to go.

After receiving an answer, which is left, the deadly silence returns. I can feel her stare but I try my best to ignore it. And apparently she's not having it.

"What is the matter with you? I know you can feel my stare, yet you choose not to comment anything. From what I have heard, you're not that kind of person Marco."

I take a quick glance at her and see her perfect eyebrows raised and she has a very curious expression on her face. I know she's waiting for an answer that will turn everything around but that's not what she's going to get.

"There's nothing wrong, I'm just a bit tired." The sigh that leaves her mouth makes it clear that she rolled her eyes but what did she expect? My life story?

"Turn right from the next," her voice is suddenly quiet and so fragile and it sounds like she's suddenly very tired. I answer with a short nod of my head.

Finally we arrive in front of a apartment complex. I wait for Eline to step out of the car but as seconds go by and she is still sitting there, I turn my head toward her.

Her dark brown eyes are staring right into mine. And I can't do anything else than stare right back. I feel like I'm a open book to her, it's like she's reading me like a free story but I can't turn my head away. Her stare is like a magnet, strong and surprisingly I don't want to turn my head away. No one has ever looked at me like that, so deeply and so captivatingly.

After a while she is the first one to look away, and I am sure that now she knows me better than I do. I am sure that she will laugh at me so wait for it with my cheeks little warm but it never comes.

She looks out of the window and then back at me before opening her mouth. "I guess the way back my home was a bit longer than I thought." Then her happy laugh fills the quiet and serious car.

Instantly I feel how my musclels relax and and the atmosphere in the car gets lighter. Her eyes look at me and her mouth is curled into a small smile. Without my own will my mouth turns into a small smile also but quickly it goes away.

"Thank you for the ride Marco, I really appreciate it." She takes a hold of the door handle but doesn't open it. Instead she turns back around and places her warm hand on top of mine and her face turns into a serious one once again.

"Don't struggle alone." And then she she nods her head and opens the door. Before I can respond and ask what she means, she's already outside of the car. She turns and faves a little with the kind of smile where I can see her white teeth and I don't know why, but I raise my hand and do a little fave back.

I can't focus on anything on my way back home. I know I should because I'm not really sure how to get back but eventually I arrive to a familiar street and see my house.

When I arrive in front of my doorstep I drop my keys, place them wrong in the keyhole, curse a lot then drop them again, curse again and finally make my way inside.

The tiredness I felt a while ago is long gone and I am wide awake again, so I decide to eat something and watch TV for a while.

I prepare a sandwich for me and turn on my TV. The first thing I see is the familiar face of Thomas Muller. There's a football game on but I don't want to watch it, not yet. I am not feeling it at the moment so instead I settle with some crappy movie I don't even know the name of.

And soon my thoughts are back on Eline. Her haunting words of advice: "Don't struggle alone."

Like a record it plays in my head through the night. Did she see that I'm not happy, did she see that I want to be alone? How did she have the courage to say something like that without knowing me?

The endless amount of questions are left hanging around with no answers and I turn and kick around in my bed before finally falling into a weak slumber, all the while thinking:

'When can I see her again and get my answers?'

A/N:
Omg it has been so so long! Too long and I am so terribly sorry. This year has been really busy for me and I haven't had the time to write anything but I didn't plan to abandon this story for such a long period of time.
I have also had a bad writers' block and I haven't had any inspiration to write but when I came back here and saw how much love this story has gotten, I just couldn't leave.

I apologize that this part was boring as heck but it will get better, I swear and I will update more often ✋🏻

Thank you for your support and I hope you leave some comments for me!
Love you all so much!